Sign in to follow this  
s15_is_sx

The Android thread

Well quite a few of us have android devices now, so if you come across any interesting news that you feel like sharing or want to list your favorite apps here would be a good place.

Interesting news:

Hand gesturing for android phones. In android phones that have a front camera you will be able to use hand gestures in the future (without touching the screen) to perform actions.

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/06/09/hand-gesturing-android-phones/

High definition video recording can now be activated on the nexus one through the use of third party software.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/09/nexus-one-steps-up-to-720p-hd-video-thanks-to-latest-hack-video/

My favorite apps so far, not really in any particular order (apart from perhaps the first one).

I haven't had my phone for long, but I still have a few favorite apps.

1. flyscreen - how good is this app. I now never don't have anything to do. Instead of waiting do nothing, I can catch up on all the gadget, financial, world news, weather, etc in such a nice setting. Love this app. No need for the engadget app anymore, which is great but redundant with flyscreen. I now do far more non-work related surfing on my phone than my PC. Even most of my forum posts are from my phone.

2.AK notepad - useful notepad app, nothing more to say.

3. ASTRO - file browser

4. compass - just because of the geeky coolness

5. Connectbot - ssh

6. Dropbox

7. Task Manager

8. Timer - useful stopwatch

9. Youtube Download - not really that good but I find it is a better viewer than the pre-install youtube app.

10. Pretty much all the google apps- gmail, google maps, google earth, googles, Google Skymaps are awesome.

I also have gmote on but have not set it up on my computer. I am unsure how secure it is. It allows your phone to be used as a remote control for your computer.

Anyway a few of the best apps I have used on the phone so far.

im very keen on moving over to an android phone next. ive gone through various versions of windows mobile phones and i dont know why i keep going back cos i regret it eachtime. really looking forward to using a phone with android.

which handset is the one thats best to get? still the nexus one? or an htc branded one? (yes i know htc make nexus one, but one of their other ones they keep on coming out with)

im very keen on moving over to an android phone next. ive gone through various versions of windows mobile phones and i dont know why i keep going back cos i regret it eachtime. really looking forward to using a phone with android.

which handset is the one thats best to get? still the nexus one? or an htc branded one? (yes i know htc make nexus one, but one of their other ones they keep on coming out with)

Well it really comes down to preference

Desire lacks active noise cancellation (posssibly important for voice entry)

Desire is dualband where as Nexus one in triband

Desire has 576MB to 512MB nexus one

Desire comes with 8GB microSD to nexus one 4GB SD

Desire has different power management 360 hrs standby compared to 250 hrs nexus one (probably changed with Android 2.2)

Talk time 390 minutes Desire compared to 420 minutes Nexus one

Desire has Sense UI (in my opinion making it better looking, mind you you can down load apps too pimp out either phone (not sure how good they are though). Still possibly a big plus for the Desire.

Nexus one gets Android updates first, I have no idea how long the difference is though. This is arguably one of the big positives for the Nexus one. Android 2.2 is 450% faster than android 2.1, smoother has more cool features, etc.

Both now multitouch

Owners of both phones seem to be very happy. If you need the latest software then the nexus one seems to be the way to go, if you want the prettier interface go the desire. Or perhaps get which ever one you can get at a better price.

nexus one owner reporting in

im running the 2.2 FroYo test version (proper version should be out next week)

its awesome, doesnt feel like a test version at all... theres a lot of little changes that arent listed that make everything more awesome

best apps

abduction: world attack - like doodle jump

aldiko - book downloader and reader

astro - file browser

citrix - remotley access work pc

dolphin browser - web browser that has iphone mode for browsing pages

opera - browser that can download youtube videos to your SD card

flight director - land planes

gem miner - fun game digging in mines etc

jewellust - bejeweled, my gf plays this for hours

k-9 mail - what im using to dl my hotmail

robo defence - awesome tower defence with upgrades and achievements

2.2. also has an official twitter app, ive never used twitter but the app is put together really well

Well it really comes down to preference

Desire lacks active noise cancellation (posssibly important for voice entry)

Desire is dualband where as Nexus one in triband

Desire has 576MB to 512MB nexus one

Desire comes with 8GB microSD to nexus one 4GB SD

Desire has different power management 360 hrs standby compared to 250 hrs nexus one (probably changed with Android 2.2)

Talk time 390 minutes Desire compared to 420 minutes Nexus one

Desire has Sense UI (in my opinion making it better looking, mind you you can down load apps too pimp out either phone (not sure how good they are though). Still possibly a big plus for the Desire.

Nexus one gets Android updates first, I have no idea how long the difference is though. This is arguably one of the big positives for the Nexus one. Android 2.2 is 450% faster than android 2.1, smoother has more cool features, etc.

Both now multitouch

Owners of both phones seem to be very happy. If you need the latest software then the nexus one seems to be the way to go, if you want the prettier interface go the desire. Or perhaps get which ever one you can get at a better price.

Just to add to this (we've discussed these scenario's before, and i've been able to do some more testing).

Voice-to-text works pretty well on the Desire, although it does get a bit iffy if you are in a noisy area. This could be due to the lack of ANC.

There's a 'rumour' that Android 2.2 will be available for the Desire at the end of the month. So, like everything 'Android', the Google phone will get the new stuff first, but it technically should be available to other android devices within a month or 2. Personally, at the moment i'm not fussed. Android 2.1 is still 100% better than any other phone OS i've used in the past

The SenseUI is awesome. I thought i would be changing layouts and things, but so far i've been VERY happy with the UI, the speed and the overall feel of it.

Last week, i got roughly 410minutes talk time on the Desire in one day. However i did have WiFi off and only used 3G services a couple of times.

IMO, if you want the best software quicker than most people, if you travel a lot and/or if you will be using Voice-to-text a lot (You would be surprised how handy it becomes!), get the NexusOne.

If you want to buy local, get something a bit 'flashier' and with more 'included' to begin with, get the Desire.

Motorola Droid on 2.1 here. Love it :wub:

nexus one owner reporting in

im running the 2.2 FroYo test version (proper version should be out next week)

its awesome, doesnt feel like a test version at all... theres a lot of little changes that arent listed that make everything more awesome

best apps

abduction: world attack - like doodle jump

aldiko - book downloader and reader

astro - file browser

citrix - remotley access work pc

dolphin browser - web browser that has iphone mode for browsing pages

opera - browser that can download youtube videos to your SD card

flight director - land planes

gem miner - fun game digging in mines etc

jewellust - bejeweled, my gf plays this for hours

k-9 mail - what im using to dl my hotmail

robo defence - awesome tower defence with upgrades and achievements

2.2. also has an official twitter app, ive never used twitter but the app is put together really well

I've only got the ones in bold, but i'm addicted to Flight Director at the moment! :D

Other apps/games i've got (that i've kept)

AirAttack (Shoot down planes/helicopters/parachutes)

Compass (cause it's geeky)

Goggles (take a photo of something and it searches google for it.. Still a bit 'beta', but cool)

Google Sky Map (Another geeky but cool way to find out what stars are what)

Google Navigation (Pure win for the simple fact it was completely free and installed in seconds)

Raging Thunder (car racing game, works by tilting phone)

Wave Blazer (like Ragingthunder, but with boats)

Winds of Steel (WW2 Fighter pilot game = win)

thanks for the feedback, guys. definitely keen to jump ship from shitty windows mobile to android soon...

thanks for the feedback, guys. definitely keen to jump ship from shitty windows mobile to android soon...

After you do it you'll never look back.

I don't have heaps of apps installed yet.

Facebook

Weather Channel

Opera Mini 5 Beta

SNesoid (Super Nintendo Emulator, absolute win)

APNdroid (An app that lets you disable 3G so you don't use up your quota and use WiFi instead)

Engadget (An app that lets you view the engadget blog site more easier than through a browser)

Pinball

Jewels (ripoff version of bejeweled)

Footy Scoreboard (Good app to view live scores for AFL, Rugby Union, Rugby League etc)

ThickButtons (An app that predicts what letter you are going to press next when typing a message and expands it to make the contact patch larger and better for typing)

I tried a few of those games. Raging Thunder and Winds of Steel, were pretty cool.

News:

Playstation emulator for Android nearly complete.

http://androidmodz.com/android-news/41-playstation-emulator-development-android-its-final-stage.html#post118

Nexus one gets USB host driver. That allows the user to plug in things like keyboards, webcams, etc.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/04/nexus-one-gets-usb-host-driver-from-a-dude-with-an-oscilloscope/

A comparison of iphone vs android. Android wins.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/06/iphone-vs-android-showdown-which-phone-is-best-for-power-users/#more-361265

Also there was a recent survey on lifehacker found something like 66% (from memory) of people preferred android to iphone OS. This is likely to be biased as a viewpoint of the general population as the readers of lifehacker are likely to be more geeky than average.

i've got a hero myself, just put the villainrom 2.1 update on it, soooooooooooooooooo much better! got all the ususaly software (atk, astro, etc) also have installed:

aussie weather radar - feeds from bom radars

bluetooth file transfer - might need root, not sure

brut maps mod - navigation :)

shazam - music naming/search

also, xda-developers for those who don't know have heaps of android stuff :)

bit dissapointed with the facebook app tho

i've got a hero myself, just put the villainrom 2.1 update on it, soooooooooooooooooo much better! got all the ususal software (atk, astro, etc) also have installed:

aussie weather radar - feeds from bom radars

bluetooth file transfer - might need root, not sure

brut maps mod - navigation :)

shazam - music naming/search

also, xda-developers for those who don't know have heaps of android stuff :)

bit dissapointed with the facebook app tho

http://www.guildsoftware.com/android.html

Vendetta Online brings fast paced space-MMORPG experience to Android™.

MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN, June 10th 2010. Award-winning independent game

developer Guild Software™ Inc has announced an upcoming native port of

their 3D MMORPG title, Vendetta Online™, to the Google® Android™ OS.

Currently being implemented for the NVIDIA® Tegra™ mobile processor,

the space-based game features a rich backstory and intense realtime combat.

also, has anyone PAID for an app?

Yah, I've spent about $40 probably on apps. A lot of the good games are paid only. I will often give the developer a few bucks for a paid app if I like it (test it via trial or lite version), as I'm a developer myself :P

Nexus one user here, running stock but on froyo. awesome experience of a phone... froyo made it qutie a bit better and heaps more responsive.

News:

Samsung super amoled display trumped by iphone IPS display? Not according to samsung! Link: http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-takes-a-hit-at-the-iphone-4-retina-display-says-it%E2%80%99s-structurally-unable-to-catch-up-with-amoled/

Apps to try:

VLC Remote. links into VLC on a computer, allows you to have full control of VLC. Used it a few days ago during a house party, was awesome to turn tracks up or skip tracks, or if someone requested a song while we were outside the house, no problems tap tap tap there you go.

Aussie Weather Radar

Just loads up the BOM radar, but its far quicker than loading it through the browser.

Fishfood

Fun but not well known game. Give it a shot.

Buka

Quality game, one of the only ones that I've bothered to finish.

Radiant

I plug this whenever I can, one of the best games on android.

Can someone with a Nexus or Desire and a PS3 or Xbox360 please try the following?

Install Twonkymedia Server

Open it up on your phone and let it scan.

Now go into the PS3/ Xbox 360 and choose the Twonkymedia server from your phone.

If you record a video or take photos, can you view them ok on either of the consoles? If this works as advertised, that's a damn awesome app! You can share the stuff on your phone with your friends/ family on the TV without any wires!

I finally updated to froyo today. I was going to wait for the official release but need to use my phone as a usb modem for my laptop so I thought the best way would be to simply upgrade to froyo. Added the flash app. I am actually finding it slightly buggy, but I guess it is a release candidate so that is fair enough. It killed fly screen although it apparently works with froyo. Also I downloaded the vlc remote from the app store. It downloaded but hasn't appeared in my apps. Apart from that all good. Hopefully flyscreen will work if I uninstall and re-install it.

When I have a bit of free time I will consider gaining root access on the phone. I want the 720p video recorder.

Korean add for android.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlk2SRcoqvw&feature=player_embedded

Edit: Re-install fixed flyscreen. So happy to have it back. It also kept all my settings. I needed to add vlc (beta) remote to get it working.

yeh im keen to jump on the andriods. desire is good but im waiting for next htc phone that has super amoled. makes it easy to see in sunlight. and will hopefully have ANC making voice to text easier. i love the weather thing. it moves lol! so if it's raining and stormy the phone will be all dark etc and rain droplets form on screen and you gotta rub them off?

yeh im keen to jump on the andriods. desire is good but im waiting for next htc phone that has super amoled. makes it easy to see in sunlight. and will hopefully have ANC making voice to text easier. i love the weather thing. it moves lol! so if it's raining and stormy the phone will be all dark etc and rain droplets form on screen and you gotta rub them off?

Honestly, the weather thing gets a bit annoying after the novelty has worn off.

Honestly, the weather thing gets a bit annoying after the novelty has worn off.

My missus has a desire and she loves the weather stuff :P

Hum, I'm not sure if any phones other than Samsungs will get super amoled. The galaxy s is more powerful than the iPhone 4 apparently, so I don't see why you'd wait, anyway. Later in the year or early next we should see the dual core snapdragons around I guess. ..

Apps:

Andftp: pretty quick FTP client for android. Full featured too. Was quick to log in to my websites FTP even on roaming.

So far I don't find the amoled screen that bad in the sunlight. Yesterday was quite sunny, I added a little shade with my hand and that was that. Is anybody on here finding them unusable in sunlight?

News:

Sneek peak at the Motorola droid X. Possibly Motorola's answer to the evo. Comes with a 4.3 inch screen.

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/06/11/solid-motorola-droid-stands-photos/#more-16059

LG will launch 20 android phones this year.

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/06/10/lg-will-launch-20-android-phones-this-year/

Nah, my amoled is dark, but readable in sunlight. Apparently the super amoled by Samhung has considerably better daylight performance.

I just tried one of the best apps yet. If you have 2.1 or above and you have not yet given it a whirl try google gesture search. It is awesome.

news:

A rumor that the Froyo OTA has started rolling out for nexus one owners.

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/06/12/rumor-ota-nexus/#more-16103

A new independent app store has popped up for android

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/06/12/independent-app-store-andspot-enters-fray-google-market/#more-16067

An $88 dollar android tablet

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/06/12/88-android-5inch-tablet/

Gizomodo: this weeks best android apps

http://gizmodo.com/5561540/this-weeks-best-android-apps/gallery/

Apparently motorola is going to launch a 2ghz droid phone later this year, running on the Nvidia Tegra platform. This would be laptop-spec power in a phone - I wonder how they deal with battery life with that.

Tip for HTC Sense users on late model droids (desire, incredible etc):

if you pinch the homescreen (like zooming out on maps/browser), it will zoom out to show you all the homescreens. It's like a quick alt tab between screens.

Misc Android Tip:

This should be common knowledge, but if you hold down the Home key on the phone, it will bring up a list of the most recent apps you have run, this allows pretty effective multitasking.

Apparently motorola is going to launch a 2ghz droid phone later this year, running on the Nvidia Tegra platform. This would be laptop-spec power in a phone - I wonder how they deal with battery life with that.

Just google searched to find

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/06/10/motorola-android-phone-with-2ghz-processor-in-the-works-for-this-year-yes-2ghz.html

This is big news.

Quote from the article

Motorola CEO Sanjay Jha, said that the company plans to, “Incorporate everything that is technologically possible in a smartphone today.”

This is for launch in 2010. This will be the new king of superphones when this thing comes out, if it is as good as they say it will be. Also noticed in the article mention of the HTC scorpion which will have a 1.5 GHZ snapdragon processor. Hopefully some of these awesome phones will be compatitable with the our networks.

Cool little app I got today. Those that go bike riding might find this useful. Also got a mode for snowboarding etc

Time your laps, average speed, distance etc.

1276010197374-1xvu0huf0tzg2-399-75.jpg

1276010197360-14609xel2d4fl-500-90-500-70.jpg

Look for AlpineSport on the Marketplace.

Cool little app I got today. Those that go bike riding might find this useful. Also got a mode for snowboarding etc

Time your laps, average speed, distance etc.

1276010197374-1xvu0huf0tzg2-399-75.jpg

1276010197360-14609xel2d4fl-500-90-500-70.jpg

Look for AlpineSport on the Marketplace.

That is a great app. My old man does a lot of cross country skiing. I can see him buying an android phone if I showed him an app like that.

I just tried that app, but it left my GPS always on, even when the app was (forced)closed.. :(

I use Endomondo for sports tracking. I use it when I walk the dog to see how far I take him... lol

Which phone companies offer the Nexus One in a plan?

I can't find any...

Which phone companies offer the Nexus One in a plan?

I can't find any...

none i believe. I don't even think you can buy the Nexus One locally..