Sign in to follow this  
Butts_JZZ30

Travelling to Bali

I did a search and saw a thread that was fairly helpful, but it was a bit dated and things changed in shitty Asian economies.

I'm thinking of traveling to Bali in either November/December/Janaury. Basically I'm after a general idea of what area to stay in, any specific hotels/villas/apartments. What night clubs to go to, what areas to avoid. I know to haggle for cheap stuff (have been to China) and all that sort of stuff. If it helps will be traveling with probably 5 mates and we want to do it in relative luxury, but our budget isn't huge, but we are prepared to pay for some reasonable accommodation. Also,

what is the capital city in Bali? Major population centers etc?

Dont take any bodyboard bags full of dope over there

I don't own a bodyboard anymore so I'll probably use my backpack instead

Dont take any bodyboard bags full of dope over there

i was going to reply with the same comment :lol:

But in all seriousness I need some tips to plan my trip. I have taken the no drug trafficking tip on board.

LOL is bali a good place? like.. nice? or is it just cheap to travel there? sorta like cali but on the asian continent and 90% off everything??

Hey mate,

Been to Bali a whole heap of times done a few boys trips there over the last two years with mates so might be able to give abit of help.

Capital City is Denpasar, not much there except some big shopping centres and stuff, generally most tourists hang around the Kuta region. Best places to stay depends on what sort of time you are looking for, if you are looking to just go nuts and party then I would recommend anywhere in Legian as its close to all the major clubs and beaches but just that bit nicer to be around. Tuban is another choice if you are looking at staying in some big hotels, its a strip along the beach located right next to the airport where most of the main hotels are. The layout of Tuban, Kuta and Legian is pretty close so its only a 15-20minute walk from one end to the other.

However, if you are looking at just chilling out for most of the trip then look deeper in land, massively chilled out places to stay up near Ubud, One hotel I have been too overlooks the river where you can do white water rafting with rooms pretty much perched on the side of a cliff, simply amazing stuff.

Clubs over there are kind of everywhere in Kuta, but there are the few main ones, being Bounty, Paddy's, Engine Room and Sky garden (3 or 4 different levels of clubs). I prefer Paddy's and Bounty just cos its where most people go so has a better atmosphere. Just be prepared to hear the same songs over and over again while you are there.

Pretty much you cant really go wrong over there, can bribe police if you get caught no wearing a helmet on a scooter, magic mushies etc etc.. Just dont get caught doing really stupid shit like weed etc and you will be right.

If you are getting scooters and that make sure you have travel insurance, seen a few people over there come off them during the rain and ending up in pretty bad knick. So its better to have that bit of mind, knowing you wont be thrown a massive medical/damage bill if something does happen.

I have babbled on for long enough so if you have any more questions just shoot us a PM or something man, happy to help out.

LOL is bali a good place? like.. nice? or is it just cheap to travel there? sorta like cali but on the asian continent and 90% off everything??

ive been to cheaper places in asia compared to bali

^ but is it a nice place to go? any scenery? something worth doing apart from the beach?

^ but is it a nice place to go? any scenery? something worth doing apart from the beach?

very nice place to go

Yeah mate, amazing scenery up in the hills, heaps and heaps of culture. Theres a shitload more to Bali than just the beach and Kuta area. Make friends with some of the Balinese and see if you can up and see there villages, how they live etc. If your into food then its a winner as well, some of the best food I have eaten was over there, cooked on a wood fire in a small village.

ask around for kuta boogle, and the magic mushroom restaurant is pretty cool 2, and drink plenty of fishbowls

I think Kuta would be a good option for me. What sort of money would I be looking at for a decent hotel with a nice pool and good facilities. The magic mushies are legal in Bali aren't they? I was planning on hiring scooters, I always get travel insurance anyway. Basically I'm looking to get away for a week or two and get loose with my mates and relax on the beach/hotel etc. I can handle getting harassed, I've been through it before.

What are these fishbowl drinks?

I'd probably like to go mid-late November, but is it worth heading there for New Years or nothing special?

I hear the lady boys are nice this time of the year..

im booked in to go in november,

from what ive seen, heard, researched it seems fairly good.

prices are pretty good too, more people that go the better... obviously.

we have 4 going for 11 nights,

includes breakfast every day, plane flights, accomodation, transfers and a few other bits and pieces and comes to like 1500ish?

will be a bit more for other meals and the thousand odd dvds you have to buy, but overall pretty good.

my girlfriends sister also went recently, her and a group hired out a villa, 100% cooked for, cleaned after everything and paid a similar price (As there was lots of them)

im booked in to go in november,

from what ive seen, heard, researched it seems fairly good.

prices are pretty good too, more people that go the better... obviously.

we have 4 going for 11 nights,

includes breakfast every day, plane flights, accomodation, transfers and a few other bits and pieces and comes to like 1500ish?

will be a bit more for other meals and the thousand odd dvds you have to buy, but overall pretty good.

my girlfriends sister also went recently, her and a group hired out a villa, 100% cooked for, cleaned after everything and paid a similar price (As there was lots of them)

This villa option is something my mate suggested, it looked pretty awesome. I would probably head out for most of my meals, want to take advantage of cheap dining haha

Although, I hear there's good money to be made at the cockfights.

It is only gay if balls are touching huh?? Keep your back to the wall around Umai Naa!!

Here's a tip: the place is a shithole, and you'll get harrassed constantly by locals wanting you to buy their junk. Don't go!

uh oh, somebody f**ked a ladyboy...

I know to haggle for cheap stuff

all you need to know is:

Berapa Harganya?

How much is it?

Wah Mahal!

Thats Very Expensive!

learn to surf by then ,best surf in asia ever...

saving for my trip next year. yeeeeeeew

Learning to surf is an option. I've got mates who do it and have always wanted to. I've been out with a bodyboard but never got around to actually trying to surf properly.

some good advice in here, I went last year for new years, and it was insane, we went to double 6 I think it is called for new years and it went off, they have a bungy tower there and don't be worried about terrorists, no cars are allowed to stop outside of clubs and I have pics of crazy bastards with machine guns and shit.

Other advice is, when you get to the airport these official looking guys will want to grab your bag and put it through xray, tell them to piss off cause they will try get like 50thou rupiah off you which is only 5 bucks but it's still the principal.

Um, psuedo ephydryne (spelling) is legal and they will try sell it to you out the front of clubs in a little AAA battery looking thing, I never did it, but apparently it's legal there, pretty sure shrooms aren't though, but readily available at bars and shit, I was smashing down jungle juices in these big wendy bear containers.

The floor in paddys is f**king slippery and dangerous so be careful.

we stayed at the Harris in kuta which wasn't too bad, but another group of mates stayed in a villa and we went there for a few nights and I would definately go that way, bit more expensive but more privacy and stuff so heaps better.

I have a card of a guy I used over there called Adam, he is a champ, speaks really good english too, and most of them are super thankful if you take them out or buy them lunch.

Food wise, stick to what they eat I found out after a week of trying to eat western food that they fail big time at it.

Only other thing I can think of is a few times while I was over ther I was nearly embarrassed being aussie cauyse of the amount of complete douche bags there.

try decifering through all that text adn if you need any more advice feel free to shoot me a PM

bali is a hole

cheap and nasty :yes:

I stayed at the bounty, full of bogans who stay in the pool all day and drink jugs of weak cocktails and never get out to piss. they shut the pool down every wedsnesday i think it is, to rinse it all out.

Tattoos there are good. mr dolphin is quality, if you want to get a tattoo i recommend booking it on the first day for the last day you're there.

taxis are a few bucks to get anywhere if you dont want to risk your life on a scooter

take sunscreen and soap

use ATMs to get cash out, be wary of street cash vendors.

don't tell a hawker you will be back later

stock up on cheap shirts and shit while you're there. most of it will fall apart in a few months.

Take an almost empty suitcase. be prepared for humidity.

bali is a hole

cheap and nasty :yes:

I stayed at the bounty, full of bogans who stay in the pool all day and drink jugs of weak cocktails and never get out to piss. they shut the pool down every wedsnesday i think it is, to rinse it all out.

Tattoos there are good. mr dolphin is quality, if you want to get a tattoo i recommend booking it on the first day for the last day you're there.

taxis are a few bucks to get anywhere if you dont want to risk your life on a scooter

take sunscreen and soap

use ATMs to get cash out, be wary of street cash vendors.

don't tell a hawker you will be back later

stock up on cheap shirts and shit while you're there. most of it will fall apart in a few months.

Take an almost empty suitcase. be prepared for humidity.

Best advise so far, you hit the nail on the head.

can anyone confirm if western food is safe to eat there eg maccas and other fast food places going over there later in the year