Sign in to follow this  
BuLLiTT

Contitki Tours

So yeah, I need a holiday.

I've bugged mates for years and have given up trying that avenue, and am thinking of a going on contiki [organized] tour, say once a year by myself [$50 a week isn't hard to pocket, which gives me $2600/year].

Anyone been on any? Opinions, good/bad?

I know it limits where you can go exactly, and you're stuck on a schedule, but that suits me fine.

Mates been on one was good,.good prices, awesome places you visit, but wouldnt go by yourself,

I always thought they were suited to singles or small groups. Seen a few but there is always a few shit holes you go to.

From what I've heard, your money is far better spent planning your own individual holiday.

If you want to experience a different culture, see different places etc, then they are quite poor.

If you want to party and have a social life in a place other than where you live, then you will enjoy it.

When i was in Barcalona earlier this year we bumped into some aussies on Contiki. They said it was pretty shit because they were staying heaps far from Las Ramblas and there's only 1 bus taking them back and if you miss it you're on your own.

My mates and i organised everything ourselves and you can get much better accomodation if you do it yourself.

I was always told contiki's are good if you have very limited time to spend overseas and want to cram in as much as possible, however if you have plenty of time over there dont bother as you see more and experience more by yourself.

Mates been on one was good,.good prices, awesome places you visit, but wouldnt go by yourself,

My friends that have done them have said if you are going to do one do it by yourself. If you go by yourself your forced to mingle with others and meet new people. The people who did it with a group of friends just hung out in there own little group.

The only thing i ever hear about Contiki Tours is that you get to meet a lot of loose sluts.

I don't have any first hand experience to offer tho.

Yep pretty much contiki tour is drinking and sluts. My bro went on one and he loved it but then again he loves to drink and loves sluts.

I did contiki in the states, was the bomb, even if u dont like sluts.... u see the main stuff, you have days off to choose what you want to do, plus they 'force' you to get out and do stuff than chill in your hotel room (which is what i'd do if i wasnt on the tour)

It forces you to get out and have fun, can have its moments where its 'flatout' but you get pleanty of time to see n do everythin you want really. maybe an extra day in vegas would have been nice.

Pretty much sounds like what I was after.

Figure if I like somewhere in particular then I'll organize another trip there myself at a later date.

Plus booze + sluts can never be a bad thing right? So long as they're alive the next day, it's all gooooood.

Hardest part is just choosing a tour which does the places your interested in, if you have no interest you will hate it.. although places that are relaxing after a big night out are well welcomed.

Go there with the attitude to have fun, get along with everyone, be friends with everyone and ignore anyone being a prick.. you will have the most fun evar.

So long as they're alive the next day, it's all gooooood.

So thats what i've been doing wrong.

I've been on two and I sell them all the time, best experience ever if you have any questions or enquires email me at jay.dean@flightcentre.com.au

I usually prefer travelling with mates / by myself now.... but contiki was some of the best times i have had in my life... went on 4 tours in total..

awesome armchair ride to see the world - don't have to think for yourself, just party and run a muck!

was awesome fun.

also: probably say go by yourself rather than with mates...

it forces you to get out of your comfort zone and meet more people (which is half the point of traveling)

DSC01664.JPG

DSC01927.JPG

DSC01998.JPG

DSC02164.JPG

From what I've heard, your money is far better spent planning your own individual holiday.

If you want to experience a different culture, see different places etc, then they are quite poor.

If you want to party and have a social life in a place other than where you live, then you will enjoy it.

agreed

ur much better of planing every thing urself

so glad i did that when i dojne my euro trip

agreed

Nah no way....

You add up food, travel, accomodation... not to mention the time wasted organising it all/planning it all...

most tours come out 20% cheaper from my experience - AND they cram as much as you can possibly do in the available time.

that said it depends why your travelling....

i love having loose holidays with mates overseas, and usually we only choose 1-2 destinations, no tours or anything and have a mental time...

but if your aim is to see & experience as much as possible then you can't go wrong with a tour.

(and often your mates don't have money at the same time unless you book heaps in advance for everyone to come, so if you just want to get out of the country i far prefer going by myself.)

plus you can sleep on the bus, u know its clean travel, no derro places.

u dont have to worry about getting lost or anything.. its simple.. party, hotel, sightsee, back to bus, next stop + repeat.

^^ correction... a topdeck tour i did put us up in the worst street in Athens, Greece....

On the street below my rooms balcony I saw (in 1 day) : Around 300 drug deals, 50+ people shooting up in the street, 30+ hookers working flat out, and around 4 fights.

That was the first meeting point hotel - the local Taxi driver from the airport was scared as shit to go to that neighborhood haha

^^ correction... a topdeck tour i did put us up in the worst street in Athens, Greece....

On the street below my rooms balcony I saw (in 1 day) : Around 300 drug deals, 50+ people shooting up in the street, 30+ hookers working flat out, and around 4 fights.

That was the first meeting point hotel - the local Taxi driver from the airport was scared as shit to go to that neighborhood haha

look like you did the greek island hopping tour. did that a couple of months ago. definately mental times. and sounds like they plopped you in the dorian inn. that place is without a doubt, an absolute sh1thole.

other then that... just do it. contiki is gr8 fun. although I had just as much fun doing other things myself.

and just remember, the contiki tour will be 2.5k etc but you will still have to pay for your flights to get there which will be another 2k+

agreed

but if your aim is to see & experience as much as possible then you can't go wrong with a tour.

Absolute opposite in my opinion. I haven't been on a Contiki tour myself (nor would I ever), but I imagine there is some form of structure, where they drop you off in a relatively central place, leave you for a few hours (or a day?) and then pick you up later?

That's the last thing I would want to do. From my travelling experiences, I spend about 10 minutes looking at the main sight seeing places, getting photos etc, then move on, especially as a lot of the sight to see in Europe are older buildings. I can't stand just hanging around in a place PACKED out wtih other tourists, it ruins a holiday for me.

I would much rather have absolutely no schedule, hire a car/ bike/ catch a bus and move around at my own pace, knowing that if I do head out of town, I can just find a little hotel/ hostel to spend the night in and go from there in the morning.

Not to mention being around a bunch of people, regardless of who they are, there are going to be times you don't want to catch a bus or be with them and just chill, and if you've already paid for that bus ride/ tour/ whatever else they have planned, then it's a waste of money not going.

I don't understand why the whole idea of Contiki tours 'forcing' you to go out on a holiday is so good. If you are the sort of person that needs forcing to go out, then chances are you aren't going to be much fun anyway.

im still on loz' side, one of the best holidays in my life.

look at their full itinary, it gives you ideas of things you can do, many optionals, many optional extras, if its not on the list u can still book it yourself, and catchup with the bus later.

agreed

Absolute opposite in my opinion. I haven't been on a Contiki tour myself (nor would I ever), but I imagine there is some form of structure, where they drop you off in a relatively central place, leave you for a few hours (or a day?) and then pick you up later?

That's the last thing I would want to do. From my travelling experiences, I spend about 10 minutes looking at the main sight seeing places, getting photos etc, then move on, especially as a lot of the sight to see in Europe are older buildings. I can't stand just hanging around in a place PACKED out wtih other tourists, it ruins a holiday for me.

I would much rather have absolutely no schedule, hire a car/ bike/ catch a bus and move around at my own pace, knowing that if I do head out of town, I can just find a little hotel/ hostel to spend the night in and go from there in the morning.

Not to mention being around a bunch of people, regardless of who they are, there are going to be times you don't want to catch a bus or be with them and just chill, and if you've already paid for that bus ride/ tour/ whatever else they have planned, then it's a waste of money not going.

I don't understand why the whole idea of Contiki tours 'forcing' you to go out on a holiday is so good. If you are the sort of person that needs forcing to go out, then chances are you aren't going to be much fun anyway.

Where have you been so far dish ? honestly don't knock it till you have tried it.

I have done Europe a few times now... twice by myself on contikis, once by myself no tours, and once with mates on a topdeck tour...

If you have all the time in the world then doing at your own pace can be better but you will end up spending a lot more money doing it that way, and have alot more chill out/down time, and if you don't know local people in the city, you often miss heaps of good stuff.

Tours jam pack as much as possible into the available time and contiki's especially have the main benefits of meeting up every 3-5 busloads of other travellers for some crazy parties.

every day was massive 7am --> 1am every day for the length of the tour.

wake up early --> breakfast --> bus --> see the sights --> grab dinner --> party till late

2 days in each city, seeing 7 countries in 14 days etc..... you would never be able to do that if you were traveling by yourself.

I would say the only downside some people experience with contiki and other tours is you don't get to choose or meet your group till your there, and sometimes there can be friction between different types of people (and you are stuck with them for 14->30 days.).... that said, it's never effected me i have always had an awesome time...!

as for "not getting to see enough of each place/not having enough time" thats the great thing about a tour : you see so much in such a short space of time, that you can make a basic summary of what places really caught your eye (to explore again at a later date) ie. i love the greek islands, switzerland, poland, czech republic and have been back there a few times since the tour, so that i could really get a better feel for those places! That said i didn't really like rome that much so was glad to only stay for the 2 days during the tour!

Some valid points guys, but for what I want a 'tour' will be good. I can't be arsed organizing a whole lot atm, and am only going to have 2-3 weeks each time I do anything so it needs to be full on. It also wouldn't hurt for me to mix it up with a few new faces as well. Maybe if I were to go overseas with a partner, or have a fair amount of time to spend I'd do it myself, but for now I won't.

havnt read whole thread but this is my opinion.

Personally i prefer do do it on my own. Then you see exactly what you want and theres no pressure of waking up at the crack of dawn and getting on a bus. f**k buses btw, train travel is so much better, and if you're smart with your planning then you do your long journeys (say around 8hrs) on overnight trains. Wake up in a new destination after sleeping all night = win. Plus you save on a night of accommodation.

Price wise, stay in hostels, eat cheap food and your trip will be cheap. Staying in hostels you will make friends everywhere and meet lots of people that want to do the same things as you and you can do them together so you're never by yourself.

As far as girls go, hostels + booze = plenty of loose sluts.

I met so many people that were not even half way through their tour and already over it, getting up early and sitting on buses for hours.

Go by yourself, catch trains, plan things you wanna see and travel in one direction, not zig zagging around the place wasting time.

my 2c

i know a couple of people who went on contiki tours by themself, one went europe and is going USA end of the year. I think it probably works out cheaper if you do it yourself, but the contiki tour sounds like it would be worth it, especially if you're by yourself.