Sign in to follow this  
twelve

Backpacking round europe

Hey everyone,

I leave for Europe for a 6 week trip in June! Looking for tips on what i need to bring, i realise its a broad question but im looking for a broad range of answers to make sure i cover everything off.

go to the Ukraine for the Kazantip festival BRING LOTS OF CONDOMS

[edit] sorry its not that time of the year yet just remembered

shame shame shame

I've never looked into this sort of stuff...but I'm sure Google has a few answers. I'd say there's sites to help first time backpackers, etc.

I did a massive trip in winter so my list would be different.

Just do as much research as you can about the area you want to visit.

Best tip: Book a hostel before you land in a city so you dont waste time traveling in the cold from hostel to hostel trying to find a bed.. esp in the middle of the night lol. We finally found one but they didn't supply a blanket, a pillow or even a bed sheet. But it was part of the experience :) Miss Europe!!!

There was a massive thread about europe back in 2009 on here. Was trying to find it, but seems like its lost after the forum upgrade.

oh and i traveled around with a suitcase for 2 months and had no problems. I hate those backpack thingys..Plus you stand out from the crowd.

Be sure to check out lonely planet forums.

i did a 5 week trip in July last year so could give you some helpful tips.

First get a decent backpack, youd be surprised how much more comfortable and durable a good backpack is.

Get or make a sleep sheet thing. Its basically like a sleeping bag but just a sheet. You can buy them or just get a queen size sheet fold it in half and stitch it up like a sleeping bag. Some hostel beds aren't the cleanest so its a good idea to sleep in one of these bad boys.

I found packing modules to be a great way to keep your shit organised in your pack. Saves heaps of time when packing up and unpacking, or if you need to find a particular item.

Pegless clothesline is a good way to dry your clothes other than hanging all your stuff off your bunk.

First aid kit.

Good walking shoes, coz you'll be doing a lot of it. I got some merrells, best $200 i ever spent on shoes, and they look like a casual sort of shoe.

a good guide book i found was "Lets Go Europe". HaS loads of good info on food prices, drink prices, and addresses of places to eat and sleep in major cities.

A bag for dirty laundry coz you wont always be able to wash your shit whenever you want.

A good waterproof jacket. I bought a North Face spray jacket, which is windproof, folds up to nothing so doesnt take up much space, and if you wear a long sleeve underneath its warm as. It will rain, trust me.

A travel towel. These are the BEST. Fold up really small, and dry really fast. You cant beat them. Espeically if you're moving around a lot, they dry fast, or yoiu can always hang it off your pack when your walking.

Whatever you pack, halve that. Re pack, then halve that again. You will take too much shit, trust me. You will buy t shirts and shit, and when you carry stuff on your back you soon notice the difference when you start adding things to your pack.

Ive done a couple of europe trips, one with a suitcase and rest with a back pack. Suitcases are the worst when you have to walk through town to get somewher, or carry it up and down flights of stairs in the subway.

Look at alternative accommodation like caravan parks. I stayed in caravan parks in Venice and Rome in a private cabin that slept 3 people for AUD$50 a night. Divide that by 3 and is pretty damn cheap. Look for accommodation just out of the city centre, its far cheaper, as is beer and food. In Rome we stayed 40mins from main train station, but wasnt a problem. You leave for the day, come back in the evening and party on at the caravan park.

Aaaaanyway, hope that helps somewhat. Think i covered most essential things.

A good website where i bought some gear from is gogogear.com.au

enjoy

cheers guys, ive been looking on forums and have bought a lonely planet book as well.

Was curious to get other opinion, given the travel thread here the other day