Sign in to follow this  
mini

Travel advice

As they topic says, looking for some advice on areas to stay in LA.

I thinking of staying around Venice beach/Marina del ray/Santa Monica but im unsure as I've heard differing reports.

Can anyone give some ideas or experiences??

I'm open to other areas but wanna find middle ground between cost/comfort/safety etc...

Thanks in advance...

If I was going there I would be visiting the comedy scene/clubs. So many of the podcasts/comedians I listen to come out of LA. Check when Adam Carolla has a live show.

what are you going for? clubs? booze? hollywood? surfing/beaches? shopping? car parts? etc...

need details yo.

hollywood is overrated. Dirty place with a bad vibe

I'm in la for 24 hrs on my way to Vegas for my 30th. La was a last minute thing, I fly out on Tuesday and kinda need to book accom fairly soon.

I have no real interest in la. I know it's a shithole but thought I'd go For the sake of it.

I wanna do universal studios or something completely childish like that, but also wanna stay in safe area that's not in the middle of no where...

I probs will, but still need ideas on accom... Uni studios is miles away from central la...

Anyone one been there recently and can share advice?

I stayed in Park La Brea. Good, safe area and I found to be in the middle of everywhere I wanted to go.

There's a farmers market there and a shopping joint called The Grove. Saw a few actors there.

Quite close to Universal Studios compared to Venice beach/Santa Monica.

But shouldn't really matter if you're only there for a day and you have a car I assume. Universal studios takes a fair bit of the day and the rest you could just drive around Hollywood/Beverly then chill at Venice/Santa Monica.

Most places are safe bar the obvious.

I stayed near the airport because I was only there for a day or so. Bad idea... to get to the city you need to catch a train and go past compton and a few other dodgy areas. I would stay in and around Santa Monica. We spent an afternoon there and it was great. Not to sure what it is like safety wise etc though.

Culver City is a good option.

Its roughly in the middle of hollywood and santa monica area's.

Thank you guys.

They're the sort of answers i was looking for...

I stayed in Park La Brea. Good, safe area and I found to be in the middle of everywhere I wanted to go.

There's a farmers market there and a shopping joint called The Grove. Saw a few actors there.

Quite close to Universal Studios compared to Venice beach/Santa Monica.

But shouldn't really matter if you're only there for a day and you have a car I assume. Universal studios takes a fair bit of the day and the rest you could just drive around Hollywood/Beverly then chill at Venice/Santa Monica.

Most places are safe bar the obvious.

Do this. I stayed in Marina Del Ray. It's OK but thinking back I would have much rather stayed around Santa Monica.

Man I literally just got back from LA two days ago.

I was in US for just over a month and ended up in LA 3 times over the trip (When I flew in, for a few days before vegas and when I was flying home)

The first time stayed at Grafton on Sunset. If you wanna head out at night to all the classic rock clubs whisky a go go, rainbow bar and grill, viper room etc. I reckon that was the coolest place in LA that I stayed in and it's safe up there.

Second time I stayed in Hollywood at the Renaissance for 3 days. Really nice hotel awesome pool but hollywood is pretty scummy especially at night in some areas.

Third time stayed just near LAX but did goto Santa Monica and Venice Beach for a day. Really cool place but is a fair amount of f**king weirdos around there.