Sign in to follow this  
Dim1

USA Holiday

Going to the united states in December/January this year.

Any must do/Must see things outside of the usual(or mention the good usual things if you want)? any events or festivals or conventions during this time?

obviously the main places vegas, NY, san fran, LA, DC are all on the cards. Potentially a visit to aspen or lake tahoe for some snow.

Cheers

go later.

east coast will be cold as f**k at that time, so either go later, like april-may next year, or include extra money for extra layers of clothing.

unless you like the cold.

USA in the Winter is amazing..

Im yet to go, but many freinds always tell me its an awesome time of year.. The big problem your going to have is everything comes to a slow halt.. Its the Christmas season and for them that means lots of snow so work begins to come down to a slow down.. Have to remember for us Christmas is summer so everything livens up.. But for some towns that usually may get snowed under Christmas time can result in more companys being closed.

Last thing you would want is being snowed under in a boring town for a week, Upto you in the end but if its purely a "Holiday" maybe not the best of time.. Wont really be able to do/see everything.

Rent a 430 Scuderia in Vegas, and party at Rehab on a sunday. Amazing.

I went with a few friends for about 2 months between june and august and we went west and east coast as well as a few other places, definitely check out Chicago and Miami, awesome places. Especially if you stay in south beach

Lakers Game in LA, Disneyland-California Park(If your into that kinda thing)

Alcatraz in San Fran. San Fran was probably my least favourite place, was a dirty place and alot of homeless people.

Vegas check out The Gun Store and Exotic Car racing at Las Vegas Speedway. I drove the Lambo LP640.. highly recommend but damn heavy through corners.Also if u got Facebook check out Vegas Drift. went to one of there drift days when i was over in vegas and there was some damn nice cars there doing there thang.

Accomodation wise in Vegas, u cant go past ARIA... awesome rooms and the bed is like sleeping on a cloud. check out Arialasvegas.com for more info.

I shall be there in November :)

I can only recommend going to Vegas for like four or five days because you get absolutely hammered and just die by the end of it.

If you enjoy shopping, they have huge malls around full of sweet brands that are cheap as chips. I spent stupid money at them.

Touristy shit in LA is decent if you're into that. We swung by Hugh Hef's house and a few others in our hire car. Also drove down to Venice Beach and cruised down Hollywood and Sunset Blvd etc. If you stick to good places in LA then you'll be pretty set in terms of safety. Avoid downtown LA if possible and keep around West Hollywood. They have some insane cars driving around which is awesome to see.

If you hit up San Fran then obviously hit up the Alcatraz there. They do audio tours and stuff and it's actually pretty cool. We rode bikes along the Golden Gate bridge too if you want to try something else out. There's also heaps of bars and clubs everywhere so you're set for that too. However, it's pretty scary at night when we went out. A lot of hookers, bums and tryhard gangster types wonder the place, like NewyJosh said.

If you're keen to hit snow, there's a couple places in Cali that have snow and otherwise the hills around there are fkn sweet as with good views, fresh air and generally a nice relaxing place to be.

Huge theme parks your thing? Hit up DisneyWorld in Orlando. It's like the size of a small city and has stupid amounts of things to do. Something like 6 different worlds which was awesome.

Cheers, keep them coming.

unfortunately we have no choice in the time of year we are going. plenty of summer in aus anyway.

NASCAR dude.. thats all i can advise.. although it looks shitty on tv, (i admit it, round and round is boring) every single race is like bathurst times a million.. and make sure you go sit on the infield with all the rednecks and shit, seriously, you will see some crazy crazy shit that you will never forget..

i went to a race in kansas, and it was fully packed out, 82 000 seats plus whatever/whoever fits on the infield.. crazy amounts of people, lots of drunk skanks flashing their titties.. :quagmire:

also, probs check out an NFL game, i love that shit cause its so over the top, def's get on it..

oh, and disneyland/world as someone up there reccomended.. that shit is dopppppppe :thumbsup:

Problem with some of these awesome idea's is that because its Snow Season its going to be alot different, Disney World will keep on going but id expect alot of the smaller things will just close.

NASCAR season doesn't run during the Winter break & NFL Season finishes at the end of December.

Im going to the US at the same time, going to basically the same places. This is wierd

Forget about any NBA games, they're still in a lockout, and don't look like budging at all ATM, check out the Heart attack grill in phoenix and order a triple bypass, try and stay away from the east if you're a warmer weather person, I went to Chicago in september, and damn near froze in the wind (much colder than Canberra) it was still sick as aids though, hit up aspen if you like skiing/snowboarding, If you like roller coasters , go to any six flags park, knott's berry farm(not the best but its empty so you can get heaps of runs). New york is good during winter, if you pack heaps of cold gear. or you could just blow all your savings in Las Vegas/ hit it big?

do a road trip on the west side and see yosemite national park, vegas, hoover dam, san fran, palm springs etc etc.

to be honest i really liked san francisco, great place. bryce and zion canyon were nicer than the grand canyon to look at also.

there are just so many things to check out on a road trip its hard to list it all. i enjoyed just going to a diner and having a counter meal and seeing all the stereotypical american crap. also the plane graveyards in mojave are cool to see, aswell as the meteor crater site.

depends on what you want mate because there is a lot to see.

just a quick question do you need to apply for a visa when you are going for a holiday, i read that you need a visa to enter to America

just a quick question do you need to apply for a visa when you are going for a holiday, i read that you need a visa to enter to America

a travel agent can organise a visa. usually just a holiday visa. not sure about America but a 2 week holiday visa to China is about $140 off the top of my head.

never assume you can get a visa on arrival, it rarely, if ever, happens.

aus is part of the VWP, could or couldn't be relevant to an individual though, all depends on circumstance. the VWP waives a visa for personal or business trips up to 90 days.

u serious? I've never bothered doing any visa prep for any holiday ever.. I just book the flights and go. never had an issue. (holiday/vacation)

a travel agent can organise a visa. usually just a holiday visa. not sure about America but a 2 week holiday visa to China is about $140 off the top of my head.

never assume you can get a visa on arrival, it rarely, if ever, happens.

aus is part of the VWP, could or couldn't be relevant to an individual though, all depends on circumstance. the VWP waives a visa for personal or business trips up to 90 days.

Kranze is on the money.

America are still locked up tight with airport security. They're fairly harsh and scrutineer you when you come in and they have those full body scanners.. It's worse if you're flying inter-continental as we did a few times. If possible, book flights as early as possible because if you're booking flights the day before you leave on multiple occasions it raises a red flag which can bring all sorts of unwanted attention. Also remember you have to ttake off your shoes when going through security.

You'll need to fill this in relation the VWP Kranze was speaking about:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

You need to apply for a green card online (us government website), its like $15 all you need is your flight number, where you are staying and personal details. Takes like 10 minutes to apply for, 3 days to clear.

Go to Vegas.

If amusement parks are your thing, I went to 6 Flags amusement park 30 mins from LA, it is massive, 3 times the size of Dreamworld, wicked fun. It was about $40 entry + $10 bus ride.

I went over this year for a month and all i had to do visa wise was the link keyhole posted.

Definately go to the gun store in vegas and pole position go kart centre both were awesome.

Also go see some stage shows in vegas i seen Peepshow which is holly madisons show best perve ever

and Absinthe which was comedy/wild acrobat shit all done on a 8 foot round stage.Unbeliveable.

In LA check out universal studios its pretty cool if your a movie person,

Disneyland was f**ked i wouldnt go there unless your got kids.

Knotts Berry farm is pretty sick,good rollercoasters.

I was there earlier this year for a bit over a month. La is ok, Hollywood is pretty filthy but you have to go. I spent 8 days in Vegas, saw alot of shows an ate and drank everything.

South beach Miami Is awesome, new York is cool but I spent over a week there and it was too long. Boston is great if you are into sport and intoxicated college girls... Go there.

San Diego is a pretty nice place also, as close as you will get to Mexico without going over the boarder, not so much the city but the towns around it.

Vegas and Miami are the best places I went to

I went over this year for a month and all i had to do visa wise was the link keyhole posted.

Definately go to the gun store in vegas and pole position go kart centre both were awesome.

Also go see some stage shows in vegas i seen Peepshow which is holly madisons show best perve ever

and Absinthe which was comedy/wild acrobat shit all done on a 8 foot round stage.Unbeliveable.

In LA check out universal studios its pretty cool if your a movie person,

Disneyland was f**ked i wouldnt go there unless your got kids.

Knotts Berry farm is pretty sick,good rollercoasters.

why was disneyland f*cked?? iv been there twice, once when i was 12 and once when i was 17, and i had a blast both times.. the novelty of it alone i think is worth it..

I was there in summer and the lines for the rides were like a 2-3 hour wait,i know thats to be

expected at a big theme park but the rides werent worth the wait at all in my opinion.

If i was 10 years younger i might have enjoyed it and the whole disney thing is far too camp for me personally.

Everyones different though.