Sign in to follow this  
Yo_Mang

Thailand, Laos and Cambodia

Hey all!

Apologies for a long post, but would love some help from people who have travelled south east asia!

So it's just under 2 months until me and the Mrs head over for our south east asia trip. We are going for just under a month, hoping to get a little longer although waiting for Uni exam timetable to come out.

Our plan is to only really book our first 2 nights of accommodation and just backpack from there around. We are just writing up a plan at the moment of the places to go and time it will take to travel. I'm stuck on a few parts, such as places to stop in the middle of 2 other places, or ways to get places within a certain time. Hoping that someone who has traveled the same places as us can let me know any advice, or any other places to go.

So the key details are:

Arrive in Phuket 22nd November 3:40pm

Depart from Phuket 18th December 7:30pm

27 days total

Definitely want to do the full moon party on the 10th of December

Spend 3 - 4 nights in Bangkok

Go Floating in Vang Vieng (Laos)

See Angkor Wat in Siem Reap (Cambodia)

Scuba dive in Patong or Koh Samui

So heres an idea of what I've planned so far. I'll put where I'm stuck

Day 1: Arrive in Phuket at 3:40pm, Stay in Patong the night

Day 2: Spend the full day in Patong to just relax and get over jet lag

Day 3: Fly from Phuket to Chiang Mai and stay at Chiang Mai. Check out shiz

Day 4: Leave Chaing Mai in a direction towards Luang Prabang, stay somewhere along the way - Stuck here - not sure where to stay along the way as I'm guessing its a 2 day trip - where is the customs / border crossing? Easiest way to get there? Luang Prabang isn't a necessary place to stop at, it was just a good place to start up the top to come down to Vang Vieng.

Day 5: Leave wherever we stay to go to Luang Prabang

Day 6: Travel from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng

Day 7: Spend the day getting slaughtered floating down the river

Day 8: Vang Vieng to Vientiane

Day 9: Vientiane to Siem Reap - I didn't leave enough days to do everything we wanted so I think we will have to fly. This would usually be a 2 - 3 day trip

Day 10: Siem Reap - Angkor Wat

Day 11: Siem Reap to Phnom Pehn

Day 12: Phnom Pehn

Day 13: Phnom Pehn to Battambang or Polphet (Depending on how much travel we are feeling. This is only for a stopover on the way to Bangkok)

Day 14: Battambang or Pophet to Bangkok

Day 15: Bangkok

Day 16: Bangkok

Day 17: Bangkok all day, overnight train at 7:15pm to Surat Thani

Day 18: Koh Phangan - Full moon party! Wanting to stay on the Island - good idea? Or head back to land?

Day 19: Struggle to Koh Samui

Haven't really planned out the last week yet, but it will be all things down that way - Few days in Koh Samui, check out Phi Phi island, probably go back to Paton, Any other Phuket places worth visiting?

So whats your thoughts on the plan? Places that aren't worth going on there? Or places that we shouldn't miss that aren't? Travel tips most welcome! :)

Cheers

Make sure you have millions of space on your camera/s cause there are shit loads of sites where your going and mainly seeing Angor and the surrounding Wat. I would love to visit my homeland so you sir are bloody lucky! Enjoy!

wow waaaaaaaaay too much planning. Talk about an effort holiday

Spend a couple of night on Bangala road and you probably wont want to go anywhere else atleast for a few days.

wow waaaaaaaaay too much planning. Talk about an effort holiday

Spend a couple of night on Bangala road and you probably wont want to go anywhere else atleast for a few days.

We were going to just go and do whatever, but on a limited time and money budget and with so many places we want to go to we have to plan it. Will still be chill, 3 countries is just under 4 weeks isn't long!

Sihanoukvil!!!! It's in cambo land make sure u don't miss it!!! I'll upload some photos of the place when I get home and on my laptop I'm using iPhone at the moment

I'm planing on heading there with the mrs in December

It's one of my most favorite places don't miss out on it

It's like Phuket but 10 - 15 Years ago before every one found out about it

Not enough time in Vang Vieng

Trust me...

Yeh I want another full day there. If we can find a way to get there easier than Luang Prabang then we will probably cut it out to spend another day there. Hoping we can leave a week earlier just depends when uni exams are.

Any recommendations on placed to see in Siem Reap (besides Angkor Wat) and Phnom Penh?

^ Sihanoukvil!!!!! Stay at a place called leng Meng beach bungalow

I get the Bangkok on Tuesday morning for a 1 month trip around the country. Just trekking around on my own and making it up as I go, kinda counting on the fact that there'll be plenty of people to meet once I get up there.

I booked the 1st 3 nights accommodation in Bangkok and that's it.

Nothing else has been planned or booked except that I wouldn't mind getting to the Full Moon party on the 12th Oct, or at least the Half Moon party on the 20th.

I was gonna do Laos and Cambodia as well, over a 2 month period, but work wouldn't let me have holidays that long and I didn't wanna try to squeeze it all into a shorter holiday.

I've never been up there, but everyone I know who has been to SE Asia says I'm doing it right by cutting out the others for now. I'll do the surrounding countries some other time when I have a long enough break to take everything in properly. Flights are very reasonable, so there's no reason why I couldn't.

If I find anything interesting to check out, I can post back here for ya.

Make sure you have quite a bit of time for Bangkok. Despite people saying its a bit boring it truly is one of the most exciting cities in the world. Between the touristy locales of Naa Naa/Pat Pong etc and the beautiful temples scattered throughout the city. Also take time to visit the Old City and if possible spend half a day in a monastary. The monks will be happy to accept you and it really is a true experience.

Make sure you have quite a bit of time for Bangkok. Despite people saying its a bit boring it truly is one of the most exciting cities in the world. Between the touristy locales of Naa Naa/Pat Pong etc and the beautiful temples scattered throughout the city. Also take time to visit the Old City and if possible spend half a day in a monastary. The monks will be happy to accept you and it really is a true experience.

Awesome, Slippery_Gypsy and I are heading over in Dec/Jan so it should be a blast!

Awesome, Slippery_Gypsy and I are heading over in Dec/Jan so it should be a blast!

Was waiting for your reply damnit :lol:

The Panda is on the money;

Went to Bangkok for the first time last year and thought 2-3 days was going to be enough (Mind you, It was really 1 and a half days, As we had a whole day tour and our flight to Phuket was lunch time the day after). We got to MBK shopping centre on the first day the very second they opened and we spent the WHOLE day/night there shopping because it was that big and crazy. So A day is lost there. You have to see the Old City and the Monastary; I didn't get the chance to see it (Might have to have a look this time round Forever_Alone?), But I've seen photos and been told what it was like, And it sounds mental if you like the touristy shit.

When you go looking around and seeing different sites and places in Bangkok, You will get sidetracked and lose track of time easy. You definently need more than three days to get a good look at Bangkok. I loved every bit of Bangkok, Even the Ping Pong show that stooged up $150 AUD :lol:

Out of all the places in Thailand, Budget more time here; It will simply take your breathe away with what you will find.

Head north a bit two away from the city.. I know its a tourist destination, But I liked the River Kwai bridge; Had lots of heritage and history behind it, A lot to look at and walk around, And lots of shops where you find things that you normally wouldn't find in Bangkok/Phuket.

Not sure if this will help, But check out cathyandgarystravelpages.com/

Got some good info on there for you.

Chuck up them photos of Sihanoukville! Sounds like a pretty rad place.

Anyone have any recomendations on ways to travel from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang?

Chuck up them photos of Sihanoukville! Sounds like a pretty rad place.

its like Phuket before it went all commercial

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00011.JPG

DSC00012.JPG

DSC00013.JPG

DSC00121.JPG

DSC00122.JPG

DSC00164.JPG

DSC00166.JPG

DSC00167.JPG

DSC00168.JPG

DSC00169.JPG

DSC00170.JPG

DSC00171.JPG

DSC00175.JPG

DSC00180.JPG

DSC00182.JPG

DSC00183.JPG

DSC00184.JPG

DSC00185.JPG

DSC00186.JPG

DSC00187.JPG

DSC00188.JPG

DSC00189.JPG

DSC00193.JPG

DSC00196.JPG

DSC00197.JPG

DSC00234.JPG

DSC00262.JPG

DSC00264.JPG

DSC00265.JPG

DSC00266.JPG

DSC00268.JPG

DSC00269.JPG

DSC00270.JPG

DSC00274.JPG

DSC00280.JPG

sihanoukville looks awesome. what would the quickest way be to get there from phnom penh?

im going to cambodia in January and i need to see if i have enough time for a night there

So it's just under 2 months until me and the Mrs head over for our south east asia trip.

So whats your thoughts on the plan?

Cheers

You are going to Thailand. The bold is where you went wrong mate.

Lots of love xoxo

So it's just under 2 months until me and the Mrs head over for our south east asia trip.

So whats your thoughts on the plan?

Cheers

You are going to Thailand. The bold is where you went wrong mate.

Lots of love xoxo

It's like bringing san to the beach

sihanoukville looks awesome. what would the quickest way be to get there from phnom penh?

im going to cambodia in January and i need to see if i have enough time for a night there

i normally hire a driver + car BUT tell make sure u let them u will pay for the petrol it works out heaps cheaper

Just a few travel tips for heading to any south eastern countries.

- Only drink bottled liquids, especially around the markets and countryside areas. So avoid tap water, soups, any pretty much any beverage that might have used tap water.

- Don't let your misses go anywhere alone by herself.

- You might have beggars offering to carry your luggage for a small payment, do NOT let them. They will run off the second you aren't looking. I'm sure your belongings will be worth more than a few dollars you were going to pay them.

Oh, and some of the taxi drivers in Thailand are extremely nice. They're honest hard working people, and will take you anywhere for about $50 a day. They do speak basic english, so if you do happen to meet a nice guy, you can ask for his number and to call him again for other days you might need him again in the area.

Edited by typexx

^ one more tip

do not drink any thing with ice in your cup, for example if u want a cold can of coke put the can into a bucket of ice DO NOT pour the coke into a cup of ice

How paranoid should I be about having cash on me in my pockets?

Because I was thinking of going full leb and getting an adidas bumbag..

wtf. Where's your full sik Nike TNs, Nike DRiFT cap, Henleys shirt and G-STAR jeans complemented with a haircut by a drunk 100 year old.

On a serious note, get one of those flat bumbags that you can wear across your waist or body.

I had no issues what so ever with safety or ice. Use your head and remember that your in Asia and you should be fine. 1 suggestion I can make is if you getting hammered don't separate from your group. I was hammered a the full moon party, got separated from my friends/drunkenly wondered off to explore, cut my foot(don't know how, I was hammered and can't remember), couldn't pay from stitches I had to get and ended up spending 13 hours locked up in a thai jail. To top it all off the cut got super infected and it almost killed me.

One thing I can say is if you even get small cuts make sure you take care of them as in dirty, tropical areas infection is serious and will get serious quick! If any cut goes funny make sure you get someone to look at it trust me.

Do this, And i'll leave you by yourself the min we hit Bangkok :rolleyes:

You got cargo shorts/shorts right? Only take small ammounts when you head out;

When we went last year, We took 2k on the plane in AUD, And changed it the min we got into the airport; Not knowing that all you do is insert your ATM card into any international ATM in Thailand and you can withdraw thai baht; costs you 5 bucks a pop but.

Just take small ammounts when we head out bro.. Other than that, We'll lock up majority of our money in the safe and only take money out when we need it.

I'll be taking over 1000 baht on the plane for when we get in; To pay for the cab from the airport and to get something to eat if the need be; Then the next day I'll be heading straight to the ATM to take out 30,000 at a time :) We'll be safe bro.. Just keep a small shot bottle of Jim beam in your back pocket though please. Lasttime I went with the now ex-gf.. This time im going with mates... It will be very different..

BTW; When we are in Bangkok, The hotel gives us bottled water to brush our teeth with; When you shower (If you do), Don't drink any of the tap/shower water or brush your teeth with it. Another thing; Probiotics (Yakult). You'll be drinking them everyday with me. You will be able to stomach anything and everything and not batter an eye lid or squirt a liquid shit.

get the thin ones that u wear under your clothes

i used this every time i went overseas

europe and asia

its designed to be thin so when u wear in under your clothing u cant even notice it

776-765-Body_Safe_Neck_Wallet_Travel_Organiser.jpg

Way too much planning dude.

I'm going to thailand in december and we've only planned the hotel.

$900 for 10 days split between 4.

The rest is what ever happens. Full moon party of course, apart from that. Nothing planned.

Were keeping it that way, makes it more interesting.

When I bought tickets to china the week before the flight it was also not planned. No hotel, no sight seeing, nothing. We just called up mates in china and they said we can crash there for the month.

Were also thinking next year, go to the airport with heaps of cash (on card) and book the next available international flight to anywhere. (organize visas there)

Thanks Kempy I will look into bringing one with me, I have seen some sweet ones online with a small wire/cable in the strap so you don't get razor-bladed.

And Josh, I'll be wearing nothing but cargo shorts over there, I was just thinking of bringing something a bit more secure when we hit the piss that's all. And unlike you Skippy McPrawnonthebbq, I'm Filo, I could wear a coffee table and still look cool. :P But I'm definitely keen on doing the probiotics when we are over there, left pocket probiotic, right pocket Jim Beam :lol: and good idea with the small mounts of cash :thumbsup:

*EDIT* Josh, RC is going over in december, I'm not going anymore.

get the thin ones that u wear under your clothes

i used this every time i went overseas

europe and asia

its designed to be thin so when u wear in under your clothing u cant even notice it

776-765-Body_Safe_Neck_Wallet_Travel_Organiser.jpg

LOL no shit, The gf's friend gave us one of them to use over in Thailand;

I had the money stashed in it and had it strapped on me the min we got in (Go through customs, Passports, Get a drink and shit)... Come the next day, It lasted all of about an hour; We hit MBK and the ammount of times I'd lift my shirt up to get money out, I said f**k that... Ended up carrying the money in my cargo shorts pockets :lol:

We just got our money changed, Kept the bulk of it in the safe, Had minimum 10k on us, And went from there;

Thanks Kempy I will look into bringing one with me, I have seen some sweet ones online with a small wire/cable in the strap so you don't get razor-bladed.

And Josh, I'll be wearing nothing but cargo shorts over there, I was just thinking of bringing something a bit more secure when we hit the piss that's all. And unlike you Skippy McPrawnonthebbq, I'm Filo, I could wear a coffee table and still look cool. :P But I'm definitely keen on doing the probiotics when we are over there, left pocket probiotic, right pocket Jim Beam :lol: and good idea with the small mounts of cash :thumbsup:

*EDIT* Josh, RC is going over in december, I'm not going anymore.

Man you won't need it. Your with me. I'm 6'6" and not exactly skinny.

You will have nothing to worry about man; What I do is just roll wad of Thai Baht up, Put money clip on it, Put it in Zip-up pocket on cargo shorts, And off I go... Poifect!

You'll see i'll have the bulk of my spending money in the safe and take small bits out when we hit up the piss.. Only problem is i'll have to duck back to the Hotel room if I run out and want some ladyboys up in my shit :lol:

Oh shit, RC's going in December? f**k.. Lets change flights quick!

And to be honest, We never really took our passports/credit cards/atm cards or any personal info with us; In Phuket, Everythings so central, You don't need that shit on you as you won't travel far; If we travel out of Bangkok for any reason for a day or two, We will need our passports and the like; But majority of the time, You won't need it... Hell I wouldn't want to lose it!

On that note, Where will you be Rolled Cambers? Phuket? Koh Phangan? Koh Samui?