Sign in to follow this  
Mandi

Going to Europe next year, first time out of country... Need to pick your brain

Hey guys, so me and my bestie are going overseas next year in June julyish and going through Europe from london to Rome, switzerland, Venice, Italy etc to Greek islands.

Soo haven't been overseas before neither has m bestie, any advice, tips things to see not to see from people that have gone?

And anything to bring (not obvious shit like passports) like universal phone chargers etc?

highly recommend going through my blog

http://nissansilvia....;st=0&fcat=

if u got any questions let me know

u will be in Europe just in time for Kazantip and exit festival

exit festival is in Serbia and i highly recommend it, its kinda like the euro version of big day out

kazantip is in the Ukraine and is month long rave party

THIS video will explain http://www.vice.com/music-world/raving-in-the-black-sea

Thanks kemp I will have a read tonight when I get home (iPhone battery in teh red), didn't know you had a blog about it!

In terms of useful items;

-Euro plug adapter for chargers, hair dryers etc.

-Ear plugs/noise cancelling headphones- the flight to europe is long, best to try and drown out as much noise as you can so you can *try* and rest.

- Money belt thingo - Can;t remember the exact name but those wallets that sit under your shorts/pants. Pick pocketing is a problem in Italy and Spain, so keep a vigilant eye on each other and you should be fine!

In terms of places to go, it depends what you like. If you are going early July, you can catch the running of the bulls in pamplona, Spain which goes for a week. Lots of partying.

Paris - Obvious reasons, Louvre, versailles, Eiffel tower.

Nice/Cannes - Southern france, definitely worth going to in summer

London - Go to a decent club, Fabric, Ministry of Sound etc, Oxford Circus is wicked for shopping

Cinque Terre - Bit out of the way, located in Italy on the north west coast.. absolutely beautiful place to just chill out.

-Rome is good for all the historic stuff, but a bit of a scummy city IMO, watch out for Gypsies.

That's all I can think of for now :)

Rhys - mum said watch that too, thinking I won't

Eskimo - thanks that's great! That's the kind of stuff I was wanting to write down :) just the little things that will make our trip easier!

Kemp read your blog, pretty crazy, me and my gf are going with a tour group though, we attract weirdos enough in Australia let alone the world so we are going to go with a tour so we get a feel for what Europes like and feel a bit safer, as we are both small girls not really intimidating. So you never got your camera back? You went to some beautiful places :)

Kemp read your blog, pretty crazy, me and my gf are going with a tour group though, we attract weirdos enough in Australia let alone the world so we are going to go with a tour so we get a feel for what Europes like and feel a bit safer, as we are both small girls not really intimidating. So you never got your camera back? You went to some beautiful places :)

Yeah a 13 year old girl isn't very safe traveling around Europe on her own :lol:

Never got my camera back, it's not the camera I care about it's the photos I lost there was a photo of me sucking on some random girls titts in Prague :( such a shame

I personally liked eastern europe a lot more so if I ever go back I'll just do eastern Europe but at the moment I'm aiming for south America

I went in winter backpacking for 2 months so my list of things to bring would be totally different.

But I traveled with a suitcase and I loved it. Didnt stand out being a tourist with a huge backpack on my back and also just dragging the suitcase was very comfortable.

I did have a decent quality suitcase so dragging it on those pebbly roads handled fine.

Be cautious of the gypsies. If you arent careful they will steal money from you.

I found the best way to travel was by train using the europass. Also have a travel cash card thingy. Learn the basic words to the language as it will help you a long way.

I noticed a lot of westerners speaking to locals in english and getting angry coz they couldnt understand them. No wonder they hate tourists there. I had no problems getting around in every city I visited. I learnt the basics like hello, how are you, please help etc..

But mandi your question is way to broad. We can all go on for hours here.

Do your own research for each city you are wanting to visit. Write down all the questions you are still unclear of and ask away.

Some helpful links:

http://www.lonelypla...tree/index.jspa

https://www.travellerscash.com.au

https://www.orao.dfa...mepage?Openpage ---- BE SURE TO CHECK THIS LINK AND REGISTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.nytimes.c...r=1&oref=slogin

http://www.ryanair.com/en

Im sure I got plenty more will have to search my old bookmarks. I went back in 2008/09.

I made a europe thread a long time ago as well with pics. See if you can dig it up. I think kemp had one as well.

Anyways Im thinking of making another trip next year around the same time. Might see you there :)

Kemp eww, whoever found that camera, can imagine their face haha

Sidd I guess Im really mainly interested in stuff to bring and tips eg: universal chargers, learning some phrases, headphones for travelling ^.^

We are doing a cosmos tour from the looks, and taking some time out for......

The Large Hadron Collider in Geneva omfg going to be the epicist shit ever!!!!

Lonelyplanet.com !!!! Best travel website ever !!! If your going on a tour mostly every thing is planed for you

Most hostels if not all have wifi so it makes it easy to blog while traveling

I'm curious to see if that guy that tried to scam you and sid is still there!

I'm curious to see if that guy that tried to scam you and sid is still there!

Bahahaha that idiot in France

I remember sidd telling me to watch out for scammers and when it happened all I could think about was what SIdd told me

Thanks for the heads up mate

First point: Learn French. The French do not speak english generally and will get pretty pissed if you are rude in english to them. Same with Italians.

First point: Learn French. The French do not speak english generally and will get pretty pissed if you are rude in english to them. Same with Italians.

I have heard they are pretty rude if you don't speak their language. My mum went to France and a lady in the shop turned her back on her and wouldn't serve her because she couldn't speak French.

I downloaded an iPhone app to help my learn common words and how to pronounciate :)

+1 on rude Italians

I went to the shop and bought ham

Asked the lady for ham and her reply was

I don't speak English can u say it in Italian ?

WTF u just spoke English bitch gimme my ham

I lived in France for almost 4 years and I can say that if you at least make an attempt to speak French and identify yourself as an Australian you will get a lot further than any English or American would get. They hate English and American people in that order but froth over Aussies

+1 on rude Italians

I went to the shop and bought ham

Asked the lady for ham and her reply was

I don't speak English can u say it in Italian ?

WTF u just spoke English bitch gimme my ham

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh and If you are ever by yourselves the best place to start is the tourism office. There is normally one in every town and they all speak English / can help you with places to visit for your relevant length of stay

Gypsies and pickpockets are everywhere but if you are aware of your belongings/what's happening around the place you will be fine

Get a prepaid sim card while you are over there so if you get lost you can call each other (get one from England cause everything is obviously in the other language and you will have troubles topping up credit)

I find showers at stop overs freshen you up for the next flight

In France most shops shut at lunch time and reopen at around 2pm so make sure you take your lunch at that time (Maybe just a southern thing)

Switzerland is amazing! Would suggest the following...

Hire a car and drive through the mountains - can be pretty tight in some places but if you have seen Top Gear you get the picture

Go up into the Alps via train - can be expensive but worth it and some have snow all year round

Geneva is a great place for shopping for watches and clocks

Spend some time lakeside at one of the many lakes they are all really picturesque

I agree that Cinque Terre is a great place to stop at if you can and make sure you have enough time for all 5 towns

Edited by Big Sim

Awesome thanks for the heads up :) I have got my little app on my phone for starting to learn phrases etc. There is a speech translator which will be handy too, to make a bit of an effort with saying things correctly.

Seems like my opening statement should be I'm Mandi and I am Australian :lol:

Seems like my opening statement should be I'm Mandi and I am Australian :lol:

Seems like my opening statement should be I'm Mandi and I am 13 years old :lol:

Fixed

Seems like my opening statement should be I'm Mandi, I'm Australian and Kemp's a little fcker :lol:

Fixed

Reading this has motivated me to want to go to Europe again! My workmate is from Belgium so I hear a lot about that and I have a close friend from Switzerland plus learnt German through school.

I honestly just want to go so I can look at castles!

before you book any hotels or anything check out their reviews...

Hotels in Europe can be disgusting! Three star's arent even clean.

I used Trip Advisor to search for places to stay and left a few good reviews on some good places.

Awesome thanks for the heads up smile.png I have got my little app on my phone for starting to learn phrases etc. There is a speech translator which will be handy too, to make a bit of an effort with saying things correctly.

Seems like my opening statement should be I'm Mandi and I am Australian laugh.png

Salut, Je m'appelle Mandi, je suis Australienne. ;)

Spent one month in Europe over Christmas/ New Year this year. Was a pretty rushed Europe trip, but got a taste of a few different places.

Had a backpack and a suitcase. Clothes and chargers/cables in suitcase, netbook, DSLR, phone, wallet, drinks etc in backpack - went everywhere with me. Some things I remember were.

Spent one week in Italy -

- No problems with pick pocketers or anything, just had a pissy little combo lock on the main pocket of my backpack.

- Cinque Terre was amazing, spend an afternoon to one day there. Slept in La Spezia, caught the train through the towns.

- Rome is interesting, can't say I'd go back though, cistene chapel was bloody average IMO...

- Pompeii is huge, can spend ages there

- Naples was a hole, bumpiest roads to drive on, town smelled like ass, mind you they had a garbage strike on while we were there :lol:

- If you're driving just remember to go through the tollgates marked with the coins and notes sign above, but if you want an awkward 3 minutes try and go through the one marked EziPass or whatever it is... :P

- Spent a few days on the Amalfi coast (Maori), spectacular place, tightest, narrowest, most white-knuckled roads I've ever been on haha

- No problems with communicating, I found it very easy to pick up even in the one week I was there

- Autogrill FTW

- Doner kebabs are on another level compared to Aus, cheap but twice as tasty, and on every corner deli.

Spent one week in Switzerland (Zermatt) most amazing place I've ever been to. Skiing at 14000ft, -20 degree weather. Not all that expensive, packed with Russians, (Russian new year or something like that when I was there).

- Awesome scenery just traveling around on the trains.

- Had THE best breakfast/ lunch in the IceBar up on the mountains. Rosti mit Kase, Speck und Speigelei :drool: - was about 22chf and was worth every cent.

Spent one week in Germany, usual sight seeing things, but mainly visited relatives there. I can understand German quite well so that was pretty helpful. Mercedes museum is worth a look.

General things I remember

- Take a couple euro power adapters

- Go to bunnings or similar and just buy a pack of 50 earplugs, much cheaper than the bs travel shops sell

- Take lots of random photos, some of my favourite shots are just of side streets/ everyday life

- I took one pair of shoes, Globes ffs, people that say to take 2 or 3 are ridiculous. Two weeks tramping around in the snow and not one wet sock!

- Eurail passes work REALLY well, trains are fantastic, fast and cheap. Just remember to record your journeys, the ticket checkers go ballistic if you don't.

- Avoid peak hour on Paris metro trains unless you want a surreal experience

Edited by DISH-oh

Europe is an amazing place to travel through. You just can't compare it to Australia, back here is so modern compared to most European cities. France/Italy are great. Try and goto Florence in Italy as well if you can. I reckon Berlin is a must do if you are visiting Europe. It's amazing to see a city that has been half rebuilt after world war 2 leveled most of it. A lot of the political buildings that survived are riddled with bullet holes as well. Amsterdam is also a must do, not just because you can get high legally but to experience a city that allows it and also allows such an overt red light district. Most of the girls are HOT!!!

Thanks guys some really great advice and tips! :)

Smithbro my best friend and I have zero interest in doing drugs or seeing hot chicks, so not interested in Amsterdam ;) Europe sounds cool with the building still having war marks ie bullet holes

wowww, so lucky!

you're going europe for your first time overseas!

im heading over around september next year =)