Sign in to follow this  
Philmeup_s13

Contiki tours

Something ive always wanted to do. Ive been thinking of maybe going on one while over in europe (planning for next yea) with the GF. Originally one of those things I wanted to do with mates, but i guess it will be the same sorta of thing with the mrs? Read up on a couple of contiki forums but they dont go into a great deal of detail, more just who is going on what etc.

Whos been?

where was it?

Stories?

Would you do it again?

Going with your girlfriend would be fine. My girlfriend went on the 20-something day one recently and most people in her group were there with their partners. They still had a ball. She had the problem of it being all too much though. If you're after lots of partying and go-go-go, then it's great.

Edited by Dan.

i prefer to organise my own holiday/back pack instead of taking a tour

so much more freedom

Geez we need a travel section on NS! So many travel threads up at the moment haha ;)

I was originally going to go Contiki for my Thailand trip but decided against it because it didn't go to a few places I was pretty keen on plus it was a bit on the pricey side for a "cheap" country. Europe would be a different story for cost though.

Theres another thread asking about Europe 3 threads down from this when I posted

Edited by Yo_Mang

Contiki = f**king gross.

Agreed. Hearing about the bed bugs and the state of the hotels you stay in would definitely put anyone off going on contiki. My girlfriends friend got bitten all over by bed bugs. Multiple places had them. One couple lifted up their mattress and could see all the bugs crawling around.

I'd be looking for a different tour operator if a tour is what you want. There would be plenty, it's just that contiki is what most people know about because everyone goes on them.

Edited by Dan.

id personally prefer to plan it why pay fags to f**king plan ur own holiday plan it yourself n ahve FREEDOM for f**k sakes.

Yeah it would be part of a larger personally planned trip, heard they were quite good for a party but no one I know personally has done one.

From what you guys have said its probably not as good as first thought.

And yeah, an NS. travel section would be a good idea!

Cheers guys.

Geez we need a travel section on NS! So many travel threads up at the moment haha wink.png

I have brought this up with loz :thumbsup:

IMO contiki and other tours are a good idea if it is your first long trip to a foreign country. BUt i wouldn't do a contiki in somewhere like thailand as they'd prob rip you off hard.

Look at Kumuka tours if getting feral drunk is not your style.

I did a GAP tour of China and it was GREAT! maybe have a look if they do one in europe: http://www.gadventures.com/. It was nothing like contiki tours I have heard about, but my misses went on a contiki of europe and she said her group was pretty tame.

Edited by Hawker180

Everyone I know that's chosen the contiki path has said there a massive waste of money.

Some even abandoned it at different spots and did there own thing.

It's a buisness after all and they want/need to make a large slice of profit of you.

So take that profit and upgrade your accommodation or spending money.

Your

I've never been on a tour but can definitely recommend travelling yourself with a mate or two and planning things as you go. Nothing beats getting on the ground, having to find your way around places as that's half the fun. On a tour you're likely to end up with bogans wanting to get on the piss each night, then you're forced to follow the schedule and be surrounded by strangers.

Contiki is sick. I did a 14 day European highlights tour and we partied every single night for 13 nights in a row.

Everyone on our tour really enjoyed it, and there were quite a few couples on it too.

My only recommendation is that you go for a minimum of 20 days, cause 14 was a bit too short. We only spent a max of 2 nights in one place, so it got a bit annoying repacking all the time and you get days to relax and recover.

Definitely do it though and go meet some cool people.

I'd also recommend travelling around by yourself in the same holiday, cos its a different experience and you obviously can do things at your own pace. I'd say 2 weeks by yourself, and then finish with a 20 day contiki.

Also, do as many pubcrawls as possible. The ones in Prague, Berlin and Camden in London are awesome.

Contiki is sick. I did a 14 day European highlights tour and we partied every single night for 13 nights in a row.

This is the thing... You obviously like partying. There's a few people who like to go on a holiday and not get pissed....yes, as strange as that seems to some people.. lol.