Sign in to follow this  
nakmuay

splitting exercises

hey guys i couldnt find any info on this on here. so after my last fight in august in melb ( i do muay thai) i fought a massive tongan lad who destroyed me lol.

i decided i need to get alot bigger, ive been doing weights for 2months now and im seeing results. but now im wondering what days i should be doing what exercises. as my triceps and legs r growing quicker than my biceps n chest.

for example

tuesday - chest/biceps

thursday - triceps/back

saturday - legs/calves

does this sound right or should i be doing different ones together or swapping some of them. any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

It doesn't really matter to be honest. As long as your resting the muscle group you worked out for at least a day.

I have a friend who is seeing big results but has no 'set' routine. It just depends.

Mine is:

Day 1: Chest/Tris

Day 2: rest

Day 3: Biceps/shoulders

Day 4: rest

Day 5: Back/Legs/Calves

The exercises I do in my routines generally compliment the two muscle groups I work on.

I'll be going into a 6day routine as of next week, which is exactly the same, only having ONE FULL DAY of rest, instead of 4. Do the program every day, so I'm doing a 3day split twice a week, with one rest day on Sunday.

At the end of the day, the reason you aren't seeing results in certain areas could be due to not training them correctly/not executing lifts correctly, or simply doing lifts that don't work enough of the muscles you think they do.

It's all very dependent. Mix it up a bit and try some different excercises. Just do alot of research and reading.. and then try it out in the gym. It's the only way to refine your routine really.

Edited by Shark

thanks for the reply mate. ahhhhh yeap. thanks heaps hey. i did have a young guy doing a program up for me. i felt it wasnt working my chest enough or biceps as in just working that one muscle group. so thats why im asking the questions now. ive been doing heap of research since posting this up on which exercises i should be doing to get the results i want. i also do my cardio side of training mon.wed n fridays, thanks for the reply

tuesday - chest/biceps

thursday - triceps/back

typically people do this the other way round

chest/tris

back/bis

though its hardly a deal breaker

wow advice in this forum has gone way down the toilet

where abouts in brisbane are you?

are you primarily doing isolation or compound exercises?

My advice is to stick with compound movements to build size and if you feel your havent worked your chest, biceps, triceps etc enough you can do isolation exercises. Nothing wrong with a 3 day split it allows you to focus on certain muscle areas rather than doing a full body workout in an hr. My personal opinion is as long as you put the effort in and train with intent you will see gains just make sure your eating enough and getting enough sleep =)

the one suggestion i might have is you move your legs to the middle of the workout so you work out upper body, lower body then upper body again.... but thats just my style do whatever you want to do :thumbsup:

Edited by FenrirWC

Pick up heavy shit

put it back down

put it on your back and squat it

pick it up and press it

It's really not that hard.

basically what you want to do is a full body program consisting mainly of compound lifts

what are your stats height weight etc etc

im in toowoomba. i mostly do compound exercises. i feel im not doing enuff on my biceps or chest like doesnt feel like im working them to their full potential. i am 6'3 and 119kgs atm. i started off at 113-114kgs before i started doing weights 2 months ago.

fighting open weight then?

unless you want to get huge i'd consider trying to get down to a lower weight class

what compound lifts are you doing? give us a breakdown of your routine.

Edited by bloodzkull

yeah im in the super heavyweight category. n the lowest ive gotten down to is 102kgs i felt to drained at that weight n had no strength like i usually do wen i would fight at 108ish kgs, ok

tuesday:

seated row x3

dips x5

chin ups x5

hack squatx3

bicep curlsx3

tricep rope pulldownsx3

chest press with machines x3

thursday

chest press on those big balls x3

bent over pull upsx3

push up/pull downsx3

lungesx3

arnie pressx3

then saturdays i alternate back to the first one.

You need to be fast to be a good fighter, especially at 108kgs.

how much fat are you carrying?

yeah im in the super heavyweight category. n the lowest ive gotten down to is 102kgs i felt to drained at that weight n had no strength like i usually do wen i would fight at 108ish kgs, ok

tuesday:

seated row x3

dips x5

chin ups x5

hack squatx3

bicep curlsx3

tricep rope pulldownsx3

chest press with machines x3

thursday

chest press on those big balls x3

bent over pull upsx3

push up/pull downsx3

lungesx3

arnie pressx3

then saturdays i alternate back to the first one.

I just died a little inside.

If you want to bulk and add strengtht then you need to be focusing on barbell work and doing squats, deads, bench, military press, chins and rows.

If you're a noob to lifting weights then look up a full-body, push/pull or upper/lower routine. Don't waste time thinking about your bis, they're hardly important.

what freako said

i cry reading through this forum now

im carrrying a little bit of fat now at 119kgs. i do have a bit of speed for my size which im lucky to have. ahhhhhh yep. thanks el freako. im trying to put on lean muscle not so much bulk i would be happy to put on 10kgs of muscle on overall.

In my experience, i dont think it matters what day you do what, as above, its not a deal breaker.

If your getting faster results in your legs and triceps, thats great, go with it, get massive tri's and legs.

If you dont like it, like how your body is forming with the weight training, drop doing legs and tricep excersises for a while and focus on the other muscle groups.

Edited by asleep

Pick up heavy shit

put it back down

put it on your back and squat it

pick it up and press it

It's really not that hard.

Yeh don't do any legs.

Just curl n shit.

Totes.

Routine for winners right thurrr

yeah i dont wanna leave legs out though as they play a major part in martial arts. like my shoulders legs n triceps r growing faster then my chest n biceps. would doing isolation exercises for the biceps make them work harder n grow as well?

as freako said base your whole routine around squats, deads, bench, military press, chins and rows.

i'm sure freako or sometime else will have a better idea on what rep/set etc will be better.

don't worry about your shoulder etc growing faster. your not prepping for a bodybuilding contest

make sure everything is good form and full rom, squats low etc

yeah im going to start doing that from next tuesday, yeah thats very true. i just want to have a good core n power with speed n agility but still be big enough if u know what i mean.

yeah i make sure im doing good form with everything i do with weights. im doing 3 sets of 10 with my weights atm. should i drop it down to 8 reps then use more weight but keep good form. thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it.