Sign in to follow this  
kranze

Travel Insurance (who, how much, policies etc)

Basically list here which company you chose for travel insurance, include any problems you encountered, anything that you liked about them etc.

use template if you like:

Travel Insurance Company:

Policy: (comprehensive, medical, whatever)

Price:

Length of trip:

Pros:

Cons.

Extra info:

First thing I can't say is if anything ever happens and you need to claim never admit to being under the influence of any substance.

Had a trip I had to bail on, was with covermore and got all my cash back less the excess(was only like $200 anyway) and really quick and easy to deal with. I'm lazy so I always just get travel insurance from student flights cause all I have to do is go and pay and they do the rest.. I think they charge a small fee but meh.

Travel Insurance Company: Southern Cross Travel Insurance

Policy: Basic "World" policy, covers unlimited medical costs rah rah rah.

Price: $78.78 Inc

Length of trip: 2.5 Weeks

Pros: Cheap, Hasstle free, you know what your getting.

Cons: None, didn't have to use it.

Extra info: Just for anyone that is looking to rent a bike overseas, if you stack it and try to claim medical or property damage you will be declined IF you don't have a valid aust bike license.

I always use http://www.travelins...cedirect.com.au price and policies are pretty good. Never claimed anything *touchwood

I have also used TID for al my travel thus far. Can't comment much further as Ive never had to claim.

They always send out promo codes, but here is a generic one for $10 off or something

TIDTHANKS

I use / sell CGU travel insurance. Its pretty expensive though...

I am doing a 4 week euro trip near the end of the year, Should I look into this?

Travel insurance? God yes! Always get travel insurance.... If that's not what you meant then I'll be quiet.

I am doing a 4 week euro trip near the end of the year, Should I look into this?

i did a euro tour as well for a bit over 4 weeks. i got travel insurance through student flights who directed me to covermore. i paid around the $150 mark which for a month long trip isn't to bad considering what they will cover you. I would suggest you do take out the insurance. For the price you pay you do get peace of mind. that also said a friend of mine got sick while on tour and went to a hospital. Cost him about $450 to get looked at and drugs given to him which he says was worth it(he fully recovered within a day and a half, no use being sick in europe for a few weeks and not enjoying yourself). He was able to recoup the majority of the costs so he was happy

Look into a credit card with free travel insurance attached to it. Heaps of places offer them and the cost is generally like $80 from memory.

cost me 120 for a month through southern cross insurance, unlimited medical being what sold it, going to be riding my bike the whole time so just incase i break something.

I went to USA for a month during December with my wife. We paid about $700 for full cover with covermore as my wife has a per existing medical condition and we had a lot cover for cancelation etc.

Anyway my wife got sick and spent 5 days in hospital in Las Vegas. We heard back last week that they will cover all the hospital and additional travel cost which we incurred which was around $1,000 for flights and accommodation and $2,500 deposit at the hospital. I haven't seen the final bill from the hospital but know it would have been thousands more.

As was said above, they will try to get out of it if drugs or alcohol are involved but even if you don't say it the doctor could put it in their report.

Just an update, received the final bills from the hospital when I got home from my last swing at work. There was one from the emergency consult for about $1200 and another for $32500 for the five or so nights in hospital. Thank f@!k that insurance agreed to pay! There were no surgeries, no ambulance or transport, we were lucky if we even saw the doctor each day, no major medications just drips.

I did a rookie mistake by planning a trip to California earlier in the year,Was going to hit up Coachella and backpack for 3 weeks.Booked the plane tickets and everything when a few of my mates did.

Applied for the Visa Waiver Program and got declined(Forgot i had a criminal record for a minor thing about 3yrs ago that i overlooked)

I then had to apply for a Visa.Then travel to Sydney for a interview where i got knocked back because of the charge.Without saying to much the charge was one of those things where you scratch your head thinking ''How the f**K DID I GET KNOCKED BACK FOR THIS?" They have a 5yr ban on me for entering the USA.So in 2014 i can then apply as its already been 3yrs since the charge. Anyways,Although i had insurance etc etc i got nothing back. Insurance has nothing to do with the denial from countries.So i am out near 3k with nothing to do about it.

Should have looked into it a tad more i think..

I bought a year's travel insurance for South America back in 2009 from STA Travel (underwritten by QBE?). Price was competitive at the time for the cover offered. Approx $1700 from memory. Had to have my wisdom teeth removed. After a bit of juggling around with getting doctors reports, they reimbursed 100% of costs ($700). I would reccomend based on that. I wonder whther the claim process would be so smooth if the amount was greater than the policy purchase price?

Word of warning though... Many places may ask you to pay up front regardless so if possible, bring a credit card with a decent limit. It might be different with some insurers though?

I think Lonely Plant is affiliated with an insurance provider... Might be just medical though. Not sure.

Insure4less.com.au

Best pricing based on the cover provided. Used them for 12 months traveling Europe, Morocco, South America, North America was I think $480. That covered my DSLR, think it was 20 mil medical, and all the other bells and whistle.

Made a claim while still on holidays, a flight was delayed and we missed our next connection. Claim submitted over email, refunds where in our accounts within 10 days.

I've used them 6 times previously, and just booked another 2 months with them as we've extended our trip. $137 for North and South America.

Oh and always read the fine print when buying insurance to see who they're underwritten by. Think these guys are Alliance so hopefully nothing to worry about there

Edited by Clockwork

Thought I had posted in here

Just did 3 months in South and Central America.

In the past I've always used Travel Insurance Direct but never had to claim or needed assistance. This time I went with Southern Cross Travel Insurance (SCTI) which came out much cheaper that TID

I broke my foot in Bolivia and these guys were an absolute pain to deal with, i wasn't even asking for money, just advice on what I should be doing and some basic information on how I should handle my injury. They were very slow to respond leaving me hanging for days and basically fending for myself in terms of medical care.

On the policy paper it also said they had a reverse call number yet when I came back to Aus. I found I had been charged approx $300 for my calls to their support line. Upon emailing them to ask about this, they said they had no reverse charge number and it wasn't till I sent a fairly annoyed reponse with the original policy paper attached that they conceeded theyd take my claim on board.

In the process of claiming call costs now (medical bills were minimal as were flight changes, god bless the 3rd world). I'll update here on the outcome.

Cliffs: Don't go with Southern Cross Travel Insurance