Sign in to follow this  
hinto2

Becoming healthy

Ok, now my flame suit is ready to go...

In the last 6 months, me and my missus have been living together and she cooks alot of food, alot of pasta. I get the feeling of not wanting to waste any and eat until I can't eat anymore lol.

I don't exercise at all, I've got an injury to my foot but that's no excuse.

I'm at the stage where my appearance is enough motorvation to start eating and exercising. Now in the last week I have started taking my lunch to work, ( two sandwhichs, 3 musli bars and 2ltr water) trying to eat not so much for dinner, and doing sit-ups, crunches every night and went for a run which was slightly painful.

Now I don't want to be a body builder or have crazy abs, but I just wanna lose my belly, double chin and boobs I'm getting lol. Now I'm not a fat slob or anything but it's noticeable.

What's the best exercises to do to kill stomach fat, and to keep fit in general? And whats good healthy food to take for lunch and dinner?

Cheers

Crossfit.

find your closest local crossfit gym, go for a trial session, and see how you like it.

it's changed my life for the better.

Half of your diet is what you eat, the other half is eating habbits. Your lunch sounds good with muesli bars and plenty of water. The major issue is don't have a massive dinner, and don't have it too late at night before you go to bed. Don't eat anything at least 2 hours before bed.

If you're not trying to get ripped, all you need to do is down size your portions when eating. Have 5 small meals in the day instead of 3 big ones. And make sure you avoid obvious things like soft drink. Just drink water and skim milk.

I have the same issue with you as well, not a fat slob but want to lose belly and double chin

Not sure if it helps but me and my mates are using an app called "My Fitness Pal" which you can enter things that you eat to the app and it shows you how many calories you have consumed

You can enter your figures (height, weight, target weight and target weight loss per week) then it spits out a figure of calories you can eat for a day

I have just started using it so will be trying to stick to it

Stay away from the pasta, bread, potato and rice or if you have to eat carbs have them with only one meal a day, pref not dinner. Also avoid eating too much sugar and make sure you eat dinner at least 2 hours before you go to sleep. For exercise look up tabata training, do that 3x a week on the bike. All these things have helped me.

If you said to your misses you were trying to get healthy because you're worried about gaining weight then I'm sure she would understand :P

I don't exercise at all, I've got an injury to my foot but that's no excuse.

Have you had a professional tell you what to avoid doing with the injury? are there any things you explicitly can/cant do on it?

Now in the last week I have started taking my lunch to work, ( two sandwhichs, 3 musli bars and 2ltr water) trying to eat not so much for dinner, and doing sit-ups, crunches every night and went for a run which was slightly painful.

What's the best exercises to do to kill stomach fat, and to keep fit in general? And whats good healthy food to take for lunch and dinner?

There's no such thing as spot reduction, you never see anyone with a 6 pack and tuck shop lady arms. When you lose weight it comes off all over (though some places will be more stubborn). Doing ab exercises wont help apart from building a small amount of ab strength and burn a few calories.

Not sure on the average calorie/nutrient break down of muesli bars but I gather they're mostly filler i.e. sugar and processed carbs. For lunch salads with lean meats like tuna or chicken are good, or sandwiches, wraps, tuna tins, nuts etc. Don't run if it's going to aggravate or prolong your injury. Best to find exercises you can work around the injury and then go full bore on it once its healed.

The major issue is don't have a massive dinner, and don't have it too late at night before you go to bed. Don't eat anything at least 2 hours before bed.

If you're not trying to get ripped, all you need to do is down size your portions when eating. Have 5 small meals in the day instead of 3 big ones. And make sure you avoid obvious things like soft drink. Just drink water and skim milk.

...make sure you eat dinner at least 2 hours before you go to sleep. For exercise look up tabata training, do that 3x a week on the bike.

Apparently the 5 meals thing is a myth and so is the eating 2 hours before bed thing as your metabolism really doesn’t fluctuate that much and it takes a while for food to digest in your guts so if you eat more often then you're just topping up stuff to be processed. If eating 5 meals helps you consume less calories and stops you getting hungry and snacking on bad things then go for it. But if you can do that while sticking to 3 meals a day then it's no biggy. The main thing to worry about is that you're at a caloric deficit while still satisfying all your micro and macronutritional needs.

Tabata training and HIIT is great for weight loss, especially if you're low on equipment and time. It's also easier to get injured doing it but really the risk is easily worth it.

Just my opinion but.

Edited by S3 TRXTC

In my not-so-expert opinion, at the end of the day fat loss comes down to using more calories than you consume, resulting in your body using the fat stores in your body for energy.

You can try all the diets and eating patterns you want, and some of them work well, but to lose fat you either need to reduce the amount of calories you consume or increase the amount of calories you burn through exercise.

In my case I hate cardio, so I just go to the gym and eat small portions of healthy natural food that are generally low in fat and high in protein such as chicken, tuna, fish, vegetables, almonds, low fat yoghurt, etc.

If you want to crash diet and shred that extra fat really quick you can try a low carb diet, if you do it right you'll lose 8-10 kilos in a couple of months without exercise and then you can go from there to normal healthy eating.

Edited by Hobbsie

Weight loss = diet.

Weight maintenance = diet plus resistance training.

You wont like crossfit, especially if you have an ankle injury that recommendation is retarded. Crossfit makes you good at crossfit, you dont need to do it to be healthy.

OP you are probably better off buying some Kettle bells and training at home if you arnt into training that much.

you talk like you know crossfit

crossfit makes you fitter and your core stronger for everyday practical things you do

and it's not all about leg work and running, so dont say my recommendation is retarded

are you fit? do you excercise? do you look/feel good?

Crossfit is a cult at 50$ a week. As opposed to a gym membership at a 24 hour place such as plus fitness 24/7 lidcombe for $13.

It is almost like a religion.. Crossfit and paleo.

High rep Olympic lifts are ridiculous to start with.

Look up crossfit white pages in google have a chuckle.

Hinto, hit up Jetts on Grand Junction Road, its literally down the road from you! Simon and I pay about $20/week each and its pretty good in terms of being 24/7 plus having equipment available.

Yea, I'm actually thinking about going there cause one of my mates goes there and $20 is pretty cheap.

I have been eating alot better lately which hopefully will result in weight loss, have been taking my dog for regular walks and runs when my missus CBf lol. I even bought some running shoes to help with my feet so all forward steps here and thanks all for the input! The start is always the hard bit

Yea, I'm actually thinking about going there cause one of my mates goes there and $20 is pretty cheap.

I have been eating alot better lately which hopefully will result in weight loss, have been taking my dog for regular walks and runs when my missus CBf lol. I even bought some running shoes to help with my feet so all forward steps here and thanks all for the input! The start is always the hard bit

Without sounding like a stalker, lol I took Simon's mum's dog for a walk down near the creek on Sunday, was a really nice walk. If we had a creek and trail closer to us I would definitely give it a go for sure!

Ye that's where we go lol, about 45min walk, pretty nice down there too

Jetts are shit and so is crossfit.

/input.

I don't know about Crossfit, but I can see where you guys are coming from with the cult thing.. this guy from my work does it and hes obsessed haha. That said hes also pretty tank!

Jetts is shit indeed, doesn't have most of the good equipment or decent size weights, but I still go because its in my office building. You're best off with a proper gym, there are some 24 hour gyms with proper equipment around.

Weight loss = diet.

Let me understand this correctly.

He wants to lose fat not weight. Alot of people I know are a 100KG and have alot of muscle. Look at Brock Lesnar/Alistair Overeem. When you say "Weight loss = Diet" Are you referring to FAT only or are you including the factors of Muscle? Weight consists of Fat and Muscle. What are you referring to?

Resistance Training + Diet will have huge affects on weight loss, it's not just for maintenance. Doing resistance training/cardio/gym in general will get your metabolism going which will make it a lot easier to digest food and use it to it's potential.

This is not an attack; i'm asking a genuine question here.

Have more grilled meat (Chicken, steak, pork) and more steamed/boiled veggies.

Stop cooking Pasta, for now anyway.

Weight loss = diet.

Let me understand this correctly.

He wants to lose fat not weight. Alot of people I know are a 100KG and have alot of muscle. Look at Brock Lesnar/Alistair Overeem. When you say "Weight loss = Diet" Are you referring to FAT only or are you including the factors of Muscle? Weight consists of Fat and Muscle. What are you referring to?

Resistance Training + Diet will have huge affects on weight loss, it's not just for maintenance. Doing resistance training/cardio/gym in general will get your metabolism going which will make it a lot easier to digest food and use it to it's potential.

This is not an attack; i'm asking a genuine question here.

I was talking in terms of the approach to get there.

OP stated

Now I don't want to be a body builder or have crazy abs, but I just wanna lose my belly, double chin and boobs I'm getting lol"

Weight consists of more then muscle and fat.

He has gained weight and wants to lose it... This will come about from dietary changes always. You should always train/eat for your goals. If OP isnt going to continue his gym adventures once the weight has been lost then he will stop and it will pile back on and people wonder why.

Whatever he does to lose he has to maintain it that includes his eating.

So the approach he takes to lose excess weight if he wants to maintain it must be one he will continue. As i said weights and diet naturally.

If he simply wants to lose weight then yes calorie defecit. But does he want to change body composition? Believe it or not some people honestly dont give a shit they just want to weight less and there is no point debating with them because they dont understand/care or even want to. This might seem irrational but its just how some people are.

Now OP can lose fat without losing all his muscle, people have done it forever . Is it optimal? No... But it takes alot of will power dedication to go the most optimal route. This is why the weightloss industry is so big.

/input.

explain.

/input.

explain.

It emphasises complex multi-joints done for high reps with poor form.

Random programming, no progression.

Cult-like.

Over-priced.

Poor coaching accreditation.

Kipping pullups.

Soft-ball throws.

Crossfit doesn't produce elite athletes, elite athletes join crossfit.

Rhabdomyolysis.

Greg Glassman.

Chews up experts and spits them out.

Shall I go on?

why would elite athletes join crossfit if high reps were done in poor form?

surely they would know better

and it's not all about high rep either, there are some days you do 2 - 3 reps, high weight, power days

not sure about poor coaching accreditation, if it was so poorly advised why would so many people go for it and then find themselves that they've failed to even achieve it

rhabdo, that's why most crossfit workouts are less than 40mins

are you better than greg classman? list that.

i do agree with half of your points though; overpriced, kipping instead of deadhang

but most importantly, no progression?

i used to be fat, 100kg 170cm asian

im now chopped down to 87kg, i dont care much aboout diet, infact last night i had a large big mac meal with a scorcher burger on the side

and im not in some sort of cult, cos i do it for free at my friends gym, so i have no obligation

so why are you so against it? seeing that it has improved my life?

what kind of person are you physically? are you fitter than all the crossfitters int he world?

http://www.c25k.com/

&

http://www.c25k.com/c25k_metric.html

What I'm doing along with 1 session of swimming, weights per week.

Seems to be working.

Good luck!

Edit: Or join a martial arts club, you get fit, strong, balance, speed & all that jazz at a steady progression that is more or less your own pace (Oh and is fun!)

Edited by TheApothecary

why would elite athletes join crossfit if high reps were done in poor form? surely they would know better

Most "elite" crossfitters are formerly elite athletes or soldiers, etc. Crossfit did not make them elite. They also are already advanced technique wise. Crossfit beginners are a different story. Good form is not emphasised.

and it's not all about high rep either, there are some days you do 2 - 3 reps, high weight, power days

This is a very new addition.

not sure about poor coaching accreditation, if it was so poorly advised why would so many people go for it and then find themselves that they've failed to even achieve it

Crossfit accreditation is well known as laughable. Its called the $1000 t-shirt for a reason. You get good crossfit coaches when they are already experience athletes.

rhabdo, that's why most crossfit workouts are less than 40mins

Rhabdo keeps on happening to crossfiters, yet they made light of it with their clown character.

are you better than greg classman? list that.

Lots of people are better than Glassman. He's a egomaniacal douche. He was just smart to jump on a great business opportunity and develop and exploit the crossfit cult mentality.

i do agree with half of your points though; overpriced, kipping instead of deadhang

but most importantly, no progression?

i used to be fat, 100kg 170cm asian

im now chopped down to 87kg, i dont care much aboout diet, infact last night i had a large big mac meal with a scorcher burger on the side

and im not in some sort of cult, cos i do it for free at my friends gym, so i have no obligation

No progression in their exercise selection, programming, etc.

so why are you so against it? seeing that it has improved my life?

I've explained all the reasons why I am against it. I'm glad that it has improved your life but that doesn't change me view of crossfit. Exercise improves peoples lives but crossfit thinks it is so much more.

what kind of person are you physically? are you fitter than all the crossfitters int he world?

I'm a nationally ranked and IPF elite II level PL'er. I'm not fit, I'm strong. I don't claim to be elite at everything like crossfitters do.

I don't hate everything about crossfit, there are parts that are useful, but as a whole I find it misguided, greedy, and often ridiculous.

Edited by El Freako

http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/Crossfit_White_Papers_--_Timeline.html'>http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/Crossfit_White_Papers_--_Timeline.html'>http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/Crossfit_White_Papers_--_Timeline.html'>http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/Crossfit_White_Papers_--_Timeline.html'>http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/Crossfit_White_Papers_--_Timeline.html

http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/Crossfit_White_Papers_--_Timeline.html

well each to their own i guess

not arguing, just wanted to see a point.

if crossfit ia as you say it is, i would have never joined my assosciated gym, i would have turned my back on them and laughed

i also do strongman and PL too, so form to me is of utmost importance.

good one driftkid, what kind of person are you?

well each to their own i guess

not arguing, just wanted to see a point.

if crossfit ia as you say it is, i would have never joined my assosciated gym, i would have turned my back on them and laughed

i also do strongman and PL too, so form to me is of utmost importance.

good one driftkid, what kind of person are you?

I'll admit that not every crossfit gym is the same. If you're lucky then you've found a good gym run by a sensible coach with experience in other forms of training who can mould the chaos of crossfit into something workable.

When you say you do PL and SM, do you do it as part of crossfit or seperately, because there can be a big difference. You could end up with something retarded like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDDyxXyf6UU