Sign in to follow this  
r33cruiser

Well boys and girls I'm off to Iririki, Vanuatu

Well, on the 16th of Jan the GF and I are headed to Iririki, Port Vila, Vanuatu.

We will be staying in our own bungalo on the water.

Looking forward to the water activities, swim up bar ;) and relaxing.

Have any of you ever been to this area?

I have been told that the locals have a drink made from a plant root that makes your body numb :o.

Edited by r33cruiser

cava is what your talking about. Similar effects of coke when its laced with the dental numbing stuff which numbs your throat and tongue. Cava is similar in a way but not as potent. I drunk a litre of the stuff in about 10 min and i started to feel groggy and pissed. Tastes exactly what it looks like(dirty water).

Jealous. Is it nice this time of year? What other activities are there to do?? And is your bungalow one of those ones where you can feed the fish from it?

Its an over water bungalow so i hope so :).

We have been reading into it a bit and I'm keen to abseil down a waterfall, ive been told the sunset cruise is a MUST, do some sailing/jet skiing and have a few drinks :).

BUT....I have been told two different things about haggling. Some people say dont accept the sticker price, whilst others say DONT haggle as its against tradition....

anyone know?

I have been told that the locals have a drink made from a plant root that makes your body numb ohmy.png.

yea i'd stay clear of the kava. tastes like shit! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kava

you'll be hounded by taxi's wanting business. we stopped their on a cruise and there were hundreds at the port gates going you want taxi! you want taxi!, yelling down at you saying their car is about a 15 min walk away, but theyll walk you to it..... &^%$ that!.

watch the taxi's too, make sure you get a price off them first for the trip and if they tlak about taking you hear and there without adding on any prices (they'll try and rip you at the end of the journey) alot of people on our cruise got stung like that, taxi man would say $50 then at the end of the trip after taking them to all the places they'd charge them $200+ AUD. so just make sure you get a set price before jumping into a taxi.

The cascade waterfalls (where they do the absail) is about the only "nice" place on the island apart from the harbour i found, there should be good snorkelling or scuba around some the places (we didnt get to go on Vila) - Lifou Island & Isle of Pines kick ass for snorkelling!

the rest of the island is as you'd expect from a not so wealthy country. dirty, smelly - everywhere fires are burning cuz they burn everything (rubbish, vegetation)

watch the prices on stuff labelled in Vatu. we got ripped at a beach hut for lunch (near hideaway island), a plate of s&p calamari, a "kids" size fish and chips, 2 local beers & a soft drink $60 AUD.

The people around are real friendly - you can wave at pretty much anyone and they'll wave back with a smile.

for duty free shopping - we found the cheapest was the Chinese Shop down the end of the Duty free strip to be the best - 1L bottles for $12 (vodka mostly), Johnny for about $15-17 same for rum, bourban etc etc.

thats about all i can remember for now, if you need any more info, let me know :)

oh & i'm pretty sure they don't like bargaining from what i remember

PA237442.JPG

Edited by i_want_a_180

Vanuatu was great, stayed at a resort just out of port villa. One good thing about it was the food and drink package, FREE GROG! And yuu get a small meal at lunch and then buffet dinner.

Hope you have a good holiday.

trip sounds awesome man!

how much did it around about cost you all up?

put some photos up when ya get back!

Vanuatu was great, but dont go there expecting a 5 star resort. It is a developing country, but very scenic.

I highly recommend:

-Eating at a restaurant called brewery. Its basically an aussie pub. Massive burgers with a side of chips and veggies for $12. Do not eat at a resort! We paid $49 p/p for the first few nights because it was new to us.

-Snorkle and dive! - So many awesome wreck sites, amazing corals and fish. There are sharks in Vanuatu - namely the Tiger Shark, but unfortunately I didnt see any :(.

-Alcohol everywhere. Highly recommend their local beer TUSKER. Very crisp and refreshing, tastes similare to Heineken.

-Take the day trip to the volcano on Tanna. The island is prestine, the rickety flight there and the all day drive are worth it.

-Post a postcard from the underwater post office

-Cascade down the waterfalls

-Enjoy a sunset cruise on a luxury sail boat.

-Jet ski your heart out

- Try the Kava, dont be a pussy! you will regret it if you dont

-On a personal note, buy some of their grenadine cordial, its AMAZING, especially mixed with vodka.

-Eat all the foods!!!!

Some tips:

-Dont expect souvenirs to be cheap. They know their pricing, i would say its very similar to aussie pricing.

-Drinks cost roughly the same as here, if not slightly cheaper. But happy hour see's $5 cocktails!!!!

-There is almost no processed food so food from a grocery store is cheap. Noodles, rice, water etc is very cheap. Where as a box of coco pops can cost $8!!!

-No fresh milk. Only long life or powdered

-Get your shots and be prepared for travelers stomach.....i wasnt sick until i had been back for 7 days.

-Internet is painfully slow, dial up speed

-Service is quick at most restaurants, but some do run on 'island time'

-Dont be afraid to say 'no' to a taxi driver, they are always annoying you.

-Port villa is very dirty, rubbish clogges the streets, at times it smells like a rubbish tip.

-The country runs its diesel vehicles on a mix of 80% coconut oil and 20% diesel.......so the streets smell funky....but somehow delicious

Petrol/diesel costs roughly.....$1.70 per litre. Rice haters beware, they soup up daewoos and other small cars. hats todays fun fact ;)

The temperature very rarely goes over 26-28C, but the humidy is unbelievable. I loved it, but a couple of german tourists couldnt cope. It really is like living in a sauna.

Edited by r33cruiser