Sign in to follow this  
shortass

Using iPhone in US

I know this should probably be in the tech or travel section but it will get a lot more views here so mods please leave it for a little while.

I'm going to the US on Saturday (probably should have figured this out earlier but oh well) and plan on buying a sim card for my unlocked iphone. Anyone recently done this and tips on which ones work best? I would use more data that making calls but I've read the mobile data allowances over there are pretty bad or expensive so might stick to using wifi most of the time if I have to. Will some networks not work on my phone? Google had some information but most of it seemed a few years old so looking for current info. Thanks

Firstly, pretty sure you can use the iPhone to access wifi without a SIM.. I think thats what I did when I was over there.

Secondly, if you get a US sim it should work fine with an unlocked iphone, just remember iphone 4 uses a microsim. I have no idea about plans but a couple of my friends got US prepaids and they worked fine.

T Mobile seems to be one of the main mobile phone stores over there, you can check their website for pricing: http://www.t-mobile.com/

U can buy prepaid sims but not for iphones that use the microsim.. When I was over there I just used the hotels wifi.. Or else u can buy a prepaid phone over there for cheap and use that.. Major networks are AT&T or T-Mobile

LIES

Prepaid data sim's work on an iphone, just test it in store with a demo sim before handing over $$$.

iPhones in the states are/were sold Locked to AT&T, so generally thats correct. However Mobile Data is Mobile Data, aslong as the correct APN settings are entered on the handset aswell as the carriers end it will work 100% perfect.

Personally just turn Global roaming off and use Wifi. Its what I did and its cheap, plus Wifi is everywhere in US&A, their coverage for 3G and especially LTE is shit. can't believe how many dropped calls they get..

Best bet, Go into a store ask to try a demo sim in your phone to see if it works, if it does, buy a prepaid plan which includes data. Unlike here, their sales guys are happy and helpful.. cause they arn't aussies.. who are usless angry people when it comes to Customer Service :P

Edited by TougeR34

How is it lies? I was over there 2 months ago and no one sold Pre-paid Microsims for iphone 4. Sure u can get them for iphone 3 as they dont run a microsim. Unless something has changed in the last 2 months.

LIES

Prepaid data sim's work on an iphone, just test it in store with a demo sim before handing over $$$.

iPhones in the states are/were sold Locked to AT&T, so generally thats correct. However Mobile Data is Mobile Data, aslong as the correct APN settings are entered on the handset aswell as the carriers end it will work 100% perfect.

Personally just turn Global roaming off and use Wifi. Its what I did and its cheap, plus Wifi is everywhere in US&A, their coverage for 3G and especially LTE is shit. can't believe how many dropped calls they get..

Best bet, Go into a store ask to try a demo sim in your phone to see if it works, if it does, buy a prepaid plan which includes data. Unlike here, their sales guys are happy and helpful.. cause they arn't aussies.. who are usless angry people when it comes to Customer Service tongue.png

Hes not saying prepaids won't work, just that they aren't available in the extra small size iphone 4s require.

LIES

Best bet, Go into a store ask to try a demo sim in your phone to see if it works, if it does, buy a prepaid plan which includes data. Unlike here, their sales guys are happy and helpful.. cause they arn't aussies.. who are usless angry people when it comes to Customer Service tongue.png

Hes not saying prepaids won't work, just that they aren't available in the extra small size iphone 4s require.

Just cut the big sim to a small sim with scissors. It's very easy. I just cut mine with scissors.