Sign in to follow this  
bradsta

J-Land Holiday! Experiences, K-tours etc etc.

-Before I get flamed I did search for existing topics but nothing came up!

I'm planning a trip to Japan sometime in the near future with the missus. I'm aiming to spend roughly three weeks there and in that time I would like to spend a bit of time looking at the car culture side of things, but I really have no clue as where to start.

Who here has done a K-Tours package? It looks the goods, but I'm not sure I can justify the $5000 for the missus, she likes skids and shit, but a week of straight car shit may be stretching it. (When I say I, I'm not paying for her tour, she is.)

If I do go it alone, how do I get involved? Is it easy to get around? etc etc.

Also, how much should I be budgeting for three weeks there, EXCLUDING accomodation and airfares obviously.

I guess I'm just after others' experiences!

Thanks!

In no offence to K-Tours, but i just don't see the point.. Unless you really really really are completely brain dead and want to be spoon fed your entire trip then i guess its just like a Contiki tour in which i think they would be horrible aswell.

Japan is not a warzone where saying the wrong thing may get you killed, you can get around Japan without learning a single word of Japanese.. You can get to anywhere in Japan by asking anybody, It has the BEST rail system in the world which means you rarely use a Bus or Taxi and the only time you do is getting to a track when you get off the train and the train stops are generally within $50 range.

Trust me on this, i was completely lost to the point i had walked for 30-45minutes in a epic zig zag direction.. I told some random stranger the suburb i was living in and by hand gestures only(remember i said you dont need to learn japanese it will just make your life easier) i was told how to get back home..

In saying the above, sure going with a few others will make life a bit easier, and sometimes people will know better ways to get to places.. But for amateurs you can do all the basic things like going to race tracks, seeing the sights without knowing much about japan.. You dont even need a car!

Getting to workshops is probarbly the main reason for a car and probarbly going with people in the know, as rocking upto HKS being a stranger who doesnt know the lingo can be a bit daunting, and sometimes workshops will say No!

Edited by antonioシ

In no offence to K-Tours, but i just don't see the point.. Unless you really really really are completely brain dead and want to be spoon fed your entire trip then i guess its just like a Contiki tour in which i think they would be horrible aswell.

Japan is not a warzone where saying the wrong thing may get you killed, you can get around Japan without learning a single word of Japanese.. You can get to anywhere in Japan by asking anybody, It has the BEST rail system in the world which means you rarely use a Bus or Taxi and the only time you do is getting to a track when you get off the train and the train stops are generally within $50 range.

Trust me on this, i was completely lost to the point i had walked for 30-45minutes in a epic zig zag direction.. I told some random stranger the suburb i was living in and by hand gestures only(remember i said you dont need to learn japanese it will just make your life easier) i was told how to get back home..

In saying the above, sure going with a few others will make life a bit easier, and sometimes people will know better ways to get to places.. But for amateurs you can do all the basic things like going to race tracks, seeing the sights without knowing much about japan.. You dont even need a car!

Getting to workshops is probarbly the main reason for a car and probarbly going with people in the know, as rocking upto HKS being a stranger who doesnt know the lingo can be a bit daunting, and sometimes workshops will say No!

I see what you're saying about K-Tours, but how else would you go about hiring a car to drive? It's $600 a day from Power Vehicles.. Also, being able to take tours of workshops is definitely a plus! Let's remember I'm not spending the entirety of my trip with K-Tours, I've still got two weeks on my own.

Hiring a car as in drifting a car, or hiring a car as in driving around Japan?

Hire car in Japan is useless, unless your going country or traveling they are good but if your city jumping you can do everything on the train.. Car Parking in Japan is very expensive! You wouldnt hire a car in Japan like you do in AUS.. Theres no street car parking and maybe finding a car spot they have parking bays which aint cheap!

When it comes to hiring a car to slide, im not to sure and PowerVehicles would have the best answers.. for $600per day you may aswell just buy a junker S14 NA for like 2k? Sounds more logical atleast at the end you can maybe re-sell it to somebody else on NS wanting to go

Edited by antonioシ

Does K-Tours or anyone offer a Nismo festival package?

As in bringing you to Nismo festival, visiting famous workshops (Omori factory? HKS?)

Keen to go end of year if possible

Hiring a car as in drifting a car, or hiring a car as in driving around Japan?

Hire car in Japan is useless, unless your going country or traveling they are good but if your city jumping you can do everything on the train.. Car Parking in Japan is very expensive! You wouldnt hire a car in Japan like you do in AUS.. Theres no street car parking and maybe finding a car spot they have parking bays which aint cheap!

When it comes to hiring a car to slide, im not to sure and PowerVehicles would have the best answers.. for $600per day you may aswell just buy a junker S14 NA for like 2k? Sounds more logical atleast at the end you can maybe re-sell it to somebody else on NS wanting to go

Yeah, I mean as in Drift Car hire. The problem with buying a car is the storage costs etc.

could just email powervehicles/k tours and ask them all these questions.......

could just email powervehicles/k tours and ask them all these questions.......

Already done. If you actually read the OP, you'd realise I'm asking more than just about car hire. I want to know people's first hand experiences.

woops actually i did read it wrong, my bad

when i was there last year i found that people there are extremely helpful

i was there with my missus and she was on exchange and even if you get lost like posted before people are willing

to show you the way back home

i was there for 2 weeks and i spent just about 2.5k thats including shinkansen(bullet train to travel between big cities), public transport, food and shopping

cars are pointless coz there are trains literally every 1 minute, parking was like 15min = 600yen...so about $6.50 give or take

most japanese people will understand some sort of broken english just break up your words into syllables

just do your research and see where you want to go

i started in osaka and worked my way up to tokyo and then back to osaka

not too sure about tours as i just went around anywhere and everywhere my legs would take me before they buckled after 19 hours of exploring

and then you go back to your hostel/hotel/motel/cube room and find yourself a cold beer in a vending machine

Does K-Tours or anyone offer a Nismo festival package?

As in bringing you to Nismo festival, visiting famous workshops (Omori factory? HKS?)

Keen to go end of year if possible

Nismo festival is at Fuji Speedway, which is doable by yourself.

You just catch a train to the local station, but Fuji Speedway is very far from the local station.. When i was at Fuji for D1GP i stayed at a local Lodge and to get to the lodge i had to get a bus aswell which was rather easy i just bought my ticket at the train station and showed the lady the address of where i was staying, Then when i got on the bus i gave the ticket to the driver so he pretty much knew i had no idea where to get off.. I had no idea what the ticket said it had a number on it which meant nothing to me, Jap bus line is like playing bingo its a huge board with flashing numbers and its not in order.. Bus driver stopped and he pointed/nodded and that was my stop!

In regards to workshops i would say it may be better to have somebody onboard who knows the language and knows the shop, Im not saying Jap people will reject you at the door but expecting to get a walk thru the HKS engine room by just walking off the street may be a little difficult, so K-Tours may be of large help in this, Youd also want a car for workshop visiting so you can atleast visit multiple in a day!

Edited by antonioシ

actually K-tours is more than just taking you around town, it's about organising cars, giving you a space to work on those cars, connections to fix/modify those cars whilst over there, access to organised days out at tracks like meihan suzuka, getting you to those tracks (cars need to be rego'd, which is something no one else in Japan offers for visitors) and a whole bunch of stuff.

i can tell you right now, it's well worth the money if you don't have your own connections and are able to set it all up yourself, which 99.9% of people looking to go over, wouldn't.

ebisu is cheaper, but it's a totally different experience.

Edited by nisskid

Good explanation stewy, i wasnt to sure of what K-Tour done and i even checked the website and it didnt really explain it at all in that sense.. It just sounds alot like a normal "tour" to be honest and no real mention of getting your own car and cruising it on the street.

yeh it's probably not well advertised exactly what he offers, but Shane spends so much time working over there, there's not heaps of time left to handle the marketing side of things haha