Sign in to follow this  
Bennybear

Hong Kong - What to do on a weekday?

Have to scoot over to HK for a couple of days next week (work) and am flying in a day early. Planning on cabbing into the city and wondering around but I am curious to see some suggestions from people that have been. Will essentially have Mon night, all Tuesday / night to explore.

Cheers,

Ben

Too much lol.

Stanley markets (bus touge there is sweet at the front/top of the double decker).

soho (mid levels) are great international food spots and has Lang Kwai Fong street which is cobble stones and turns into a street pub pretty much.

peak tram to the peak for a sick view.

don't go to girly bars in want chai, you just get some tit and all of a sudden a $40 beer. causeway bay is a busy area with lots of shops without the expense of central. it also has namco wonderpark on the top floor of the world trade center (not like usa ) which is a sweet arcade place with the latest games and $20 aus lasts for a while.

take the star ferry across to tsim sha tsui (kowloon side, pronounced like 'chim sa choy') and go first class which is ontop andcosts stuff all. its a great view that's all.

flagfall in taxi's is very good $3 aus and goes a fair way but the mtr stations and octopus cards just make walking so much more enjoyable.

Nathan road is the main spine on the kowloon side and is a decent walk if you just want to walk a lot and see stuff. how ever you will get sick of the Indians selling suits every 6 feet.

there is just too much to do.

Damn if only I saw this earlier, my current GF is HK born, PM me if you're still there and I'll send you some things to do.

There is definitely heaps to do.

Stanley markets are worth the trip, just bargain them down a shitload as they price everything knowing it's a touristy destination now.

The harbour cruise (mentioned above) is worth it as well. Definitely don't go cattle class though, it's worth the extra $1 to go on top :lol:

Victoria Peak is worthwhile on a clear day. Don't bother if it's foggy/smoggy/wet.

Personally, i like Wan Chai :lol:

It's alright if you think about it like an american navy base. Quick cheap thrills, lots of bars and a huge amount of international cuisines.

I like the classier bars around Wan Chai compared to anywhere else.

There are some upmarket shops around North Point, but if you want to get a bargain go to Kowloon.

When you arrive there via plane, just jump on the train that takes you into Central. The cabs/chauffeurs are a rip off whilst the train is cheap, easy and fast. From Central you can go anywhere pretty easily.

Don't forget to ask your hotel about local tours. Suss them out, some of them are excellent.

Nathan road is the main spine on the kowloon side and is a decent walk if you just want to walk a lot and see stuff. how ever you will get sick of the Indians selling suits every 6 feet.

there is just too much to do.

LOL, but the suits are so cheap!!!

I get all my suits from a place in Wan Chai though (opposite the Empire hotel i think). The quality is excellent there and i can now contact him via e-mail to order anything tailor made :P

OK so this is a late splurge of info that I have found out via trial and much error :lol:

Last night I bumped into an Emirates flight crew in my hotel who were heading out for a night on the town as their plane had been grounded due to poor weather... sweet jesus mary and joseph do those guys know how to seek out a night spot/trouble... Long story short, I ended up getting horribly lost in Kowloon, groped by a tranny (I think... or just terrible hooker) and then finally directed to a taxi rank by an Indian guy that insisted I come back the following day to get tailored...

Spent today (nursing a hangover) @ Disneyland and a few other spots followed by the night markets in the city and now a cold beer at my hotel. Just had an absolutely stunning Filo girl knock on my door asking if I had ordered a massage, and if not "did I want one"... Sorry, married and deathly afraid of divorce so no juicy I got banged up abroad story to end the post :lol:

Edited by Bennybear

Want chai is great for me cause i love the Irish pub called Delany's. I have about 5 rugby jerseys from the pubs there. i just warn new blokes who think that they are in a stereotypical Asian girl bar that they are NOT. Maccau is great for that shit. temple street night markets are decent on the kowloon side but remember it is triad area.

im missing hk now! if i go back it will be my 10th time.

I won a bottle of champagne from a dancing on the bar competition at Carnegies Y2K. I was only 17 but pub crawled all night and sat up on the peak (climbed over fence) to watch the year 2000 sun rise over hk. best night.

Pretty impressed, need to come back on holiday and really check it all out. Spent the day in death by PowerPoint meetings so am looking forward to getting out of the hotel.

Red eye back tomorrow night