Sign in to follow this  
Mandi

Best site/way to stay in touch with friends/family overseas?

Hey guys, soo about 2 months until I go to Europe and have been thinking what the best way too stay in contact with my family/friends is. I thought about a blog or what not but I find those free blogspots annoying and just a pain in the ass. I don't use Facebook but I have a feeling in going to have to if I can't really find another alternative :/

A lot of email servers like msn yahoo have chat services.

Give your family and friends your details, then when you log on to the net it will update them that you're on line.

I don't use twitfacebook either but from what i've seen about facebook the email server version is kinda similar (without the games)

Why don't you use Facebook? It's by far the best solution

facebook: general short chat and uploading of photos.

blog: lengthy story telling of your adventures for your family/friends benefit

Sounds like facebook will be your best bet.

Just add close friends, family and awesome people like myself and it'll all be sweet.

Yea I use Skype for gaming but no sure if family would have to much trouble using it, plus there will be a time difference.

And yea mainly like to maybe upload some pics with ease and update people how I'm going and what I'm doing.

Gfunk - I just guess I never really saw the point of using fb, sounds like people update you on just shit I wouldn't care about, lots of attention seekers and if I wanted to talk to someone Id call them or whatnot,(and fb is shoved in everyone's faces everywhere) but it won't be that easy when I go overseas.

Flying sif I wouldn't add you :)

use FB mandi.

I was on years and years ago and got off because i hated the people i didnt like finding me and it was all about games and poking etc. I then became the mother of all haters of FB.

Now I'm back on and its great. it has a lot of options to make it as personal or impersonal as you like. I have mine set to friends only, so I can control who i want to share my stuff with. It was great for things like sharing overseas trip stories and photo's real time compared to getting home and going through 10000 photos and trying to remember things. i say do it.

p.s. I dont use my real name on FB, just a fake name. it helps reduce the random people trying to find you and the people who do know you will understand the nickname.

i just blogged my traveling on here and sent the link to my family back from

^ yeah and facebook

but for those of my family and friends that didnt have facebook i just sent them the link to my blog

^ yeah and facebook

but for those of my family and friends that didnt have facebook i just sent them the link to my blog

And with my yahoo and gmail accounts(free)you can run a blog thru them and manage the privacy control too.

Cheers for the response guys, I think one benefit for tardbook would be I could just upload a photo from my phone yea?

In regards to doing that will I use my normal internet plan data allowance? Or will it charge me a shit load because I use phone Internet overseas?

Cheers for the response guys, I think one benefit for tardbook would be I could just upload a photo from my phone yea?

In regards to doing that will I use my normal internet plan data allowance? Or will it charge me a shit load because I use phone Internet overseas?

Don't Use your phone Internet

Using it overseas they charge some thing stupid like $1 a meg

Wifi is every where in Europe so it's very easy to just connect to wifi and use it

Most if not all cafes will have wifi and most if not all hostels have wifi

We've been finding plenty of free wifi in Vietnam but Facebook is blocked intermittently.

We've been finding plenty of free wifi in Vietnam but Facebook is blocked intermittently.

There is a way to get around the Facebook block

I use Skype, KakaoTalk and Viber on my phone when I have free WiFi (almost all accommodation will have WiFi, weirdly the budget accom will be more likely to have it free, hotels tend to charge). free messaging, talk and sending pics. Been away 13 months so far and best way to stay in touch with family and close friends.

Edited by Clockwork