Sign in to follow this  
_PLEZA

Going to the US - Mobile Phone Options?

Hey guys,

Im going to the US next month for 6 weeks and my missus wants me to call home daily, im not to good with the way mobile phones and sim cards work overseas but I dont want to be spending an arm and a leg calling home. So what is my cheapest option? And yes I currently have an Iphone 4

skype is free. I bought a global simcard from EKit to take to europe and the rates are really good. buy online and get the simcard in about a week in the mail.

cheers for the reply bud, will look into it

I bought a $10 phone over there and $20 simcard gives you balls amount of credit (like $400 or something retarded with whole bunch of free minutes). Not sure how much it is for international call though but it's pretty cheap regardless. Otherwise Skype would definitely be a good way to go!

Hey mate im also going to the US for all of July... a family friend told me about travelsim (google it) basically you buy it here from all phones activate it and what not, add credit to it and your done...

you gotta make sure your phone is unlocked tho...

Also you get you number straight away so you can hand it out to your fam and stuff so they can contact you..

I bought mine yesterday just gotta find time to activate it..

I went to the US in Feb and was going to buy a sim card over there but never needed to. We just used skype on wifi at the hotels.

i've been in the US for 4 months this year and didn't bother to buy a simcard at all. make sure you get the Viber app and Skype (didn't use skype much on my phone, just the laptop). Viber lets you send text messages and make free calls to anyone else with the Viber app, and it's really good, but it works best if you are connected to WiFi.

if you are taking a laptop then buy a wireless internet usb stick so you have internet on your laptop, then create a wireless network on your laptop and connect your iphone to it. that's what i did the whole time and it allowed me to call home, use my phone etc.

a virgin mobile wireless stick cost me about $50 initially, then $50 a month for unlimited downloads at pretty good speeds, but you can get cheaper deals, just need to be careful because sometimes you need a US id, so carry your passport and it should be fine. i got mine from Radioshack so just go in there and tell them what you want to do.

other than that, as said above there is hotspots pretty much everywhere in the US, starbucks was the easiest for me because they're everywhere, so the best and CHEAPEST idea is to plan times to call home and go sit at a starbucks. that will save you money and hidden simcard fees etc.

oh and another thing, your iphone will find a carrier while you're over there, mine was on AT&T 90% if the time, but sometimes T Mobile. be careful with this, my iphone is prepaid so i never got slugged international roaming charges, but if you're on a plan you'll get a heap of charges, so either disable all network data and only use wifi, or disable international roaming.

Edited by kranze