Sign in to follow this  
pyro

New PC Build - After some thoughts

Hi Guys :)

I've been wanting to build a new desktop for a while now and have started pricing things up. The desktop would be for web development + gaming on Linux (yes, on Linux), with XP and Win7 VM's for the shortfall and browser testing. I typically only replace hardware every 4 or so years, so it's gotta be somewhat decent. I already have a case, keyboard, mouse, speakers, second monitor, so it's just the primary monitor + case internals and PSU that I'm looking to buy. This is what I've got in mind so far:

Intel Core i7 3770

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H 4DDR3 1600 RAID PCIE3.0 SATA3 USB3 ATX HDMI DVI

Kingston Kingston 16GB Kit HyperX Blu 1600Mhz DDR3 cl10

Samsung 256GB SSD 830 Series - SATA III 6Gbs, 2xnm Toggle DDR NAND, 3-Core ARMv9 MCX Controller (I have a tonne of existing sata platter drives which will share the same case)

And i'm thinking something like the MSI GTX660TI,2GB,1019MHz, Display Port, HDMI, DVI or maybe the EVGA GTX 660 2gb overclocked

Primary monitor Asus VS248H 24" 2ms wide LED w/DSUB DVI-D HDMI

Currently this is weighing in at about $1300 before I match a PSU to it (anyone know of a good wattage calculator?). I'm definitely open to ideas, as it's been ages since I've assembled my own pc. I bought a G73GH laptop last time, but it's starting to show its age and I'm getting sick of using a laptop as my primary machine.

I was originally hoping to get out of this around the $1000 mark, but I don't think that's going to happen any more.

Let me know what you think guys :)

Josh

There is something wrong with your setup to only get what you have for $1300.

I'm in bed now but ill price something up for you in the morning.

One thing i can tell you now is, your RAM is too slow if you want it to last you 4 years.

:edit:

Ah f**k it, can't sleep now because i gotta figure out what it is haha.

Gimme 5 mins and ill have something for you.

Edited by Chappy

Your UD5 motherboard is overkill for your use, you don't even have a high end video card let alone some crazy SLI setup.

The Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Motherboard would still be overkill but the UD series is good to have and it's only $169 on PCCG

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=19990

The i7 might be overboard but you are going for longevity and the quad core i5's don't have hyper threading, so stick with the i7.

Intel Core i7 3770 $309

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=20139

For RAM i recommend G.Skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 for $169 on PCCG

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=20091

For the SSD i could only find the 840 series Samsung. Personally i am biased to Intel, but they both offer similar speeds and a 5 year warranty so it's up to you.

Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD Retail Box $259

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=22032

PCCG has the MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti OC 2GB for $295 clocked up to 1019MHz

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=22923

For $14 more you can get the EVGA at stock speed (915MHz), but frankly the only time i would go EVGA is if you want to use their overclocking software.

The Asus monitor you chose looks decent, PCCG have it for $189.

So all up we have:

Core i7 3770 $309

GA-Z77X-UD3H $169

16gb G.Skill 2400 $169

Samsung 840 256GB $259

MSI GTX 660 Ti OC $295

ASUS VS248H 24in $189

TOTAL $1390

As for PSU, you should get by with a 650w and have room to spare as you are not running any power guzzlers. You could probably run 2 GTX 660's comfortably with a 650w. Just make sure you get one that is modular and 80+ rated. $100 should cover it.

PCCG have this OCZ 700w modular unit for $89.

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=12402

I just grabbed the prices from PCCG for ease of access, but you can usually save a couple of bucks by getting the bigger things like the monitor from your local PC store. I can also usually find some price reductions on occasions at other online stores for particular parts, but i'm falling asleep so bed time methinks :D

Edited by Chappy

Only thing I would change from Chappy's list is the power-supply. I still recommend power-supplies with a single 12v rail when you're running a single graphics card. If it were my money:

http://www.pccasegea...4&products_id=17209

If your having trouble finding the price difference, I would look at a slightly more affordable package of RAM:

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=18886

As an example. Unless your overclocking, I don't really find that there is a substantial difference performance with RAM frequency, as long as the timings are fairly tight.

I mean, there a few other little things, like I don't normally lean towards Gigabyte motherboards or MSI video cards, but that's just unfounded brand bias lol.

Edited by normality

Cheers guys, really appreciate it :) I normally haunt staticice.com.au for prices, but the only real winners were bundle packages...

I thought 1600mhz was the highest you can go in ram on the 1155's? If you wanted higher you'd have to go LGA2011?

Just for funnies I had a look at a build based on 2011:

LGA2011 equivelant All Needs:

Intel CORE i7 3820/3.60GHz/10MB CACHE/LGA2011/4CORES/ (NO FAN) $306

Shitty intel fan for 2011 $23

Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 / X79 / 8 x DDR3 / 6 x PCI-E / 1 x PCI / 8 x SATA3 / 4 x USB3.0 / GBLAN / RAID / ATX ( http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=4288#sp ) $254 or

Asus P9X79-LE ( http://www.asus.com...._2011/P9X79_LE/ ) $219 MSY

16G Kit 2400(8Gx2) G.Skill Trident-X $152 - MSY

Samsung 840 250gb $189

2G GTX 660Ti MSI N660TI-2GD5 $295 MSY

ASUS VS248H 24in $189

Cheapest: $1373

But that would only be any good if Haswell was going to be running 32nm :P

edit:

btw, are AMD competing in this cycle? I've seen a few reviews saying that they've fallen behind atm?

Edited by pyro

To make use of the high frequency ram you need to do some tweaking of the motherboard clock settings. That is the case for all sockets.

AMD have been behind in performance for the last 7-8 years. With that said they do price their hardware accordingly and they are generally easier to overclock.

If you want a CPU that will go the distance however Intel is better.

You would be wasting the 2011 system with just 2 RAM sticks because that system has quad channel RAM slots.

Not much help, but for what it's worth, I have the Samsung SSD, and it's great! Miles ahead of my old Crucial (but that's not hard)

To make use of the high frequency ram you need to do some tweaking of the motherboard clock settings. That is the case for all sockets.

AMD have been behind in performance for the last 7-8 years. With that said they do price their hardware accordingly and they are generally easier to overclock.

If you want a CPU that will go the distance however Intel is better.

You would be wasting the 2011 system with just 2 RAM sticks because that system has quad channel RAM slots.

No worries :) I thought there was something missing in the boards that I was looking at :P

Not much help, but for what it's worth, I have the Samsung SSD, and it's great! Miles ahead of my old Crucial (but that's not hard)

My other option in the HDD department is a hybrid setup, like this: http://msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=10593 obviously it's not as good as a straight ssd, but it's cheaper than a controller + hdd + ssd and afaik, the x79 boards from yesteryear were the only ones with ssd caching controllers onboard? Considering the price, they're offering double the space, for nearly half the cost and are performing better than platter drives in all tests. Sometimes more than twice as good. Obviously the controller takes a while to figure out what to cache and what not to cache, but that's to be expected.

I usually find the parts i need on pccasegear.com

I usually check their prices against my local PC store and work out what is cheaper.

I'd look at getting an Intel SSD. I have 8 dead SSDs of all different brands sitting on my desk. Can not fault the 520 series.

I am actually looking to build a PC. Where do you guys get your gear?

Search staticice.com.au once you have a list of what you want. sometimes you get lucky and there's one store which has all the parts you want and is cheaper than all the others, with shipping. that's pretty rare now, but it will at least tell you if xxx part is $50 more than it should be at your local shop :)

I generally use the Umart website for initial research, because it's not f**king shithouse like MSY's.

Edited by pyro

Alright, so I've ditched the idea of getting out of it on the cheap and have decided to go a Haswell build with eyefinity at the same time. I've done a quote through PC Case Gear, which seems to be pretty consistent with pricing on StaticIce and shipping is $59 which isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I had originally priced up an Ivy Bridge machine, but the haswell seutp was $100 more for a bit better performance out of the box. I know it doesn't overclock as well as Ivy bridge, but I generally don't overclock out of the box anyway (hence no aftermarket HSF). Also, I got the Extreme6 so that I can throw another GFX card in it down the road and Crossfire when it gets a bit tired. Similarly, if need be I'll be able to go i7 when they're cheepcheep and more ram.

Mobo: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 $239

CPU: i5 4679K $269

RAM: G.Skill Ares F3-1600C9D 8GB (2x4gb) DDR3 $79

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb $249

GFX: Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 Overblocked 3gb $399

PSU: Xigmatek Vector G 850W 80+ Gold $139

Case: Antec Three Hundred Two $79

Monitors: 3 x BenQ GL2450HM 24" Widescreen $169 each, $507 total

Total: $1960 Including delivery $2019

Triple Monitor Stand off eBay $199.95 delivered

Grand Total: $2218.95

Let me know what you think :)

I'd look at getting an Intel SSD. I have 8 dead SSDs of all different brands sitting on my desk. Can not fault the 520 series.

Strange, my desk looks very similar... However, there does seem to be more OCZ and crucials on my desk than anything else. Havent lost an intel yet.

Wait... you bought a Z77 motherboard.............. and you bought a 3770 with no 'K'?

O_o hmmmmm... are you cerain you won't overclock?

PS: pryo......................... if you can hold off another 6 months and get the next Haswells you will have a selection of 6, 8 and 10 core products.

Leave the 4 cores behind :) can you wait? If you have a need for speed lust perhaps an SSD for the time being may quench it if you don't have one already.

Buoy, you missed a post mate :PCheck this one. But yeah, I've already bought it :) Thanks though :)

Aah ok no prob. The only interesting thing to look out for in the budget / bang for buck arena in the next 6 months is AMDs Steamroller. It won't beat Haswell, but if it can get close to Sandy Bridge IPC...... with 8 actual cores and 5Ghz overclock potential? That is going to be one hell of a budget build!

AMD just released an 8 core 5ghz chip, I seen it yesterday on facebookhttp://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/amdfx/Pages/amdfx.aspx

Edited by DRE20

sorry to dig up an old thread. thought it be better than starting a new one.

im looking to build a pc for home use and not really gaming. my mrs wants a laptop but im trying to convince her into a desktop. Doesnt need to be fancy but i do want it to be better than your run of the mill system and i dont really know much about pc's.

looking for something with quick boot up and more than 3ghz and at least 4gb ddr3. can you run 2 ssd's? I like to keep the OS files separated from the other stuff incase shit goes wrong and 240gb intel is too small. also needs to have wifi capability.

not sure about how much to spend on graphics and sound cards as well as mother board.

thanks guys

sorry to dig up an old thread. thought it be better than starting a new one.

im looking to build a pc for home use and not really gaming. my mrs wants a laptop but im trying to convince her into a desktop. Doesnt need to be fancy but i do want it to be better than your run of the mill system and i dont really know much about pc's.

looking for something with quick boot up and more than 3ghz and at least 4gb ddr3. can you run 2 ssd's? I like to keep the OS files separated from the other stuff incase shit goes wrong and 240gb intel is too small. also needs to have wifi capability.

not sure about how much to spend on graphics and sound cards as well as mother board.

thanks guys

Take a look at the gamedude's website at http://www.gamedude.com.au/ they are fair priced, easy to deal with, trustworthy and can help full on experts through to total no idea about computers customers.

yeh ive looked at pccasegear but im not sure about some of the stuff needed in a pc build. i dont know what sort of spec stuff to put in. i want it to still be fairly good but not overkill best of the best stuff.

but you can take a laptop anywhere. literately anywhere. and you can get such good performance from a laptop. is your partner using it for schoolwork and stuff? wont she need to take it places?

i still have an asus eepc thats 4 years old going strong that we took all over the world with us for 2 years. I just like the fact that desktops can continuously be upgraded with new parts.

so are you looking to build or buy a PC?

If you are unsure of parts, i always used to look at PC power play's build threads for guidance, they pretty much list the best bang for buck builds at certain dollar price ranges, i built my last rig with their system as a template.

here it is:

http://pcpowerplay.com.au/forums/showthread.php/240313-PCPP-Build-Thread

i used to be worried about overclocking etc, i had my current 2500k build running at 4.5g at one stage, but it kept DE-clocking itself so i just gave up, just running a mild OC at 4ghz now, meh.... I'm due for a upgrade but i am not really gaming anymore.

as for parts, PC case gear is good, but usually i would go to my local PC shops, mainly PCDIY or MSY, due to convenience if i ever needed warranty on a part.