Sign in to follow this  
sneaky1

r32 head gasket issue

So ive just been lucky enough to buy a 32 with a hgasket prob for 2k. Has milky oil but idles perfect and runs well. Still pulls strong under boost and havent seen any signs of smoke. Looking into head gaskets and noticing different sizes. What would ppl recomend for a stock engine running basic mods? Was thinkin maybe of reducing the thickness to increase compression. Would this help drivability on a basic 12psi. Also what do all the different sizes mean? 

Just chuck the factory nissan gasket back in or std thickness metal HG if you plan on big power down the track

stock nissan headgasket and some ARP headstuds and call it a day dude.

or buy another rb20 for like 400 bucks and have it last another million years haha

Wouldnt you want lower compression for turbo car and high for n/a ???

why? higher comp makes the car better to drive.. when my motor lets go I'm raising the comp to 9.5:1 and running e85.. less boost, more down low.. I win

Wouldnt you want lower compression for turbo car and high for n/a ???

why? higher comp makes the car better to drive.. when my motor lets go I'm raising the comp to 9.5:1 and running e85.. less boost, more down low.. I win

Why bother having a turbo then?

Edited by Clowny180sx

+ wider power band, boost comes on earlier, makes more low down power.

Being a RB20DET it is already laggy as bat shit, why would you want to decomp the head further? It's already 8.5:1, skimming the head would be a great idea to bring up the compression. Would make the car less doughy.

I know benifits. But high comp and boost makes motor go bang seen first hand if was meant to be high comp why do they lower it factory.....?

RB20DET runs 8.5:1, from what I can gather they were intended to run a touch more boost to make the power, and run a shorter stroke, and the quality of fuel before was different. We have the luxury of higher octane fuel readily available to us these days and ECUs with higher resolution to tune, i.e. more fine tuning of ignition timing between cells.

Newer cars run nearly 9:1 factory compression

R33/R34 GTS-t/GT_t 9:1

EVO 8.8:1

Porsche 911 Turbo 9.8:1

Golf R 9.8:1

etc...

The higher the compression, the better the tune needs to be.

I have a slightly modded SR20DE+T. 9.5:1 and 13.5PSI, with air to water intercooler, makes for great response and better low down pull.

correct, hence I mentioned newer ECU support higher resolution maps, meaning you can tune the ignition timing at smaller RPM & load intervals