Sign in to follow this  
newbien

PC upgrades

Hi all,

looking to get a new graphics card, and possibly a new chipset...way out of the loop, built the tower years ago and havent done a thing to it...

ASUS RoG Striker Extreme Board LGA 775 Intel

Intel Core 2 quad 2.4

4gb ram

GTX 8800 extreme

as i said, havent changed anything since it was built years ago...

have just put in a basic water cooling kit (bigwater 750pro)...so will want to add the new GPU into the water loop, so must be easy to setup for watercooling...

will be used for some gaming, but mainly hd movies and mulitscreen

help would be great

cheers

Mate looking at those components it's time for a new PC. The core 2 is well out of its league in comparison to the CPUS today. I have an i5 2500K at 4ghz and I think I need to upgrade lol. Also 4 gb of ram ain't enough for games these days double it at least.

is there any decent chip that i can get to suit 775 slot?

am going up to 8gb ram when i do the graphics card anyway

Mate looking at those components it's time for a new PC. The core 2 is well out of its league in comparison to the CPUS today. I have an i5 2500K at 4ghz and I think I need to upgrade lol. Also 4 gb of ram ain't enough for games these days double it at least.

Dude do you even know what you're talking about? Double it at least? At least? So are you saying he needs more like 10GB of RAM to run a game?! You know what ram does, right? And you know how applications use RAM, right?

INSTALLED A BALL MOUSE FFKK ITS SHIITTT

HHIIPPPPPSSTTERRR LOL

Shadow_Matrix has a point, 4gb of RAM is not a huge issue, however the ram is bound to be too slow, possibly even DDR2, so it is destined for the bin.

They do not sell 775 CPU's any more, and even if they did, the CPU's for that slot are way out of date.

You will want to upgrade to a 1150 motherboard, but to be honest you can save a bit of cash by getting an AMD Socket AM3 board. CPU's today are so over powered that very few of them struggle to run even the highest end games.

If you want to use your existing water cooling kit you will need to get an adapter for your current slot. This is another good reason to get AMD because their CPU socket mounts from AM2 to AM3 have hardly changed at all. This was on purpose to suit people in your situation who want to keep their existing cooling system. If you still have the old box for that cooling system with all the brackets it came with, chances are you already have a bracket that will suit AM3.

If you wish to add your video card to your cooling loop you have a tough decision to make. You can either try to track down a hardware store that will sell you an EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper (which comes pre installed with a water cooling block, but is very rare and about $1000) or you can buy your own water block and install it on another card and void the warranty.

PC Case Gear recently got a shipment of 780 Hydro's the other day but they are sold out already. You could call them and ask if they will be getting more in stock.

As for how much RAM, 8gb should be more than enough. 6 would be fine, but you will have more chance to find 2 4gb sticks than 2 3gb.

The biggest decider will be, how much can you afford to spend?

:edit:

Also i just did a google search for the Thermaltake Bigwater 750 Pro but i was only able to find the 760.

If the 750 is the same arrangement with it all fitting into 2 5.25" bays including the single fan radiator, then you are going to need a bigger radiator before you can think about adding a video card to the loop. A bigger radiator is going to mean you will need a case big enough to fit it inside.

Edited by Chappy

ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2 Motherboard $75

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=21711

AMD FX-8320 8 Core Black Edition Processor $189

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=21807

G.Skill Sniper F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR 8GB (2x4GB) $92

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=19475

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 OC Edition 2GB $469

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=23601

OR

ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCU II TOP 3GB $499

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=19553

Then for waterblocks you would need either

XSPC Razor GTX 770 Full Coverage Waterblock $125

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=24373

OR

XSPC Razor HD7970 Full Coverage Waterblock $115

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=21958

Then depending on how you work your water cooling system you will need to budget some cash for tube fittings and extra tubing.

Don't forget:

fitting an aftermarket waterblock to a video card will VOID YOUR WARRANTY

Not saying don't do it (i did it with my video card), just a warning.

:edit:

I selected the more expensive video cards because there only appears to be waterblocks available for cards at that price point. Unless you choose to get a previous generation card.

When selecting a waterblock there is not much to consider apart from price and compatibility. If you find a different brand block for your chosen card at a much lower price, jump on it.

Edited by Chappy

Dude do you even know what you're talking about? Double it at least? At least? So are you saying he needs more like 10GB of RAM to run a game?! You know what ram does, right? And you know how applications use RAM, right?

Hi Shadow Matrix - Yes i do know what i am talking about, considering i have worked in IT for 7 years now.

My original response was limited due to answering on my iPhone.

In relation to advising to get 8 GB of ram. If you were planning on upgrading your PC - why would you not want more ram? 8GB ram basically comes with every computer these days, not only to have the large buffer of unused memory there, but also to future proof the PC more than only having 4gb of RAM. At the rate that CPU/nanotechnology is being developed - the more the merrier. As Chappy said, the LGA775 chipset supports DDR2 which is virtually obsolete and way more expensive to purchase than DDR3 these days.

He is talking about gaming - For example, BF4 come out soon and the recommended RAM is 4GB. Going from BF3 i had 4GB ram and decided to upgrade to 8GB ram so RAM would not be a possible bottleneck. The main reason here is that i would want to upgrade the entire PC if he wants to play the current generation of games. As games are being developed they are only going to require more resources. Again, why going 8GB is a good idea.

And No, i was not saying that he needs 'at least 10gb to play a game' but why not upgrade RAM to 8GB? Whats the downside?

Why come across so aggressive when the question was about an upgrade - where if he does upgrade his socket then he will need to ditch the DDR2 and go DDR3 anyway with the current generations of sockets/CPUs.

So don't just come into the forums and start flaming, saying 'do you know how RAM works' after saying go 8GB with a new PC - noob.

/rant

Virtual memory isn't a better solution to having sufficient memory capacity, and it was only ever implemented in Operating Systems as a bandaid to remedy the capacity and pricing of memory, compared to platter drives. It's true to say that some new game titles offload almost all their textures to GRAM and processing to the GPU, so the OP could get away with only 4gb of RAM in such circumstances, however Windows 7/8 on 4gb of RAM is lethargic and many of the popular Indy and Free-to-play games will absolutely choke on less than 6gb of RAM.

Having been in the IT sphere for a very long time, imo the absolute best bang-for-the-buck upgrade these days is 8-16Gb RAM + SSD. For around $250 you can get a huge improvement in load times and OS responsiveness, which makes both gaming and general desktop usage far more pleasant.

Edited by pmod

I've always been of mixed opinions where MSI is concerned. Had some good units in the past and some duds. I generally buy Gigabyte these days, as the quality is there since they pumped so much cash into R&D years ago, and for me they have proven quite reliable. Honestly though, all you need are 4 DIMM slots and assuming you don't plan to go Crossfire/SLI (not worth it imo), one PCIEx16 socket. All else is irrellevant. The latest releases of the Realtek chipset provide acceptable audio, and if you need something better for a high-end set of headphones or speakers then you're better off with a standalone card anyway, so I don't factor in onboard sound when choosing a motherboard.

Rather than blowing big cash on an upspec motherboard, buy something of good quality that matches your socket and bus speed needs, then spend decent cash on a high-quality power supply. Personally, I recommend Seasonic PSUs, due to their build quality and efficiency.

Edited by pmod

thanks for the help guys, as i said, its a long time since building it!

was having a look around last night and stumbled across this on pc case gear...http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=23834

looks like a pretty decent bit of kit, only downside being intel chip

yes, no, im a fool ?

Decent board, but kiss your $1,000 limit goodbye and be ready for the possibility that you might not find a suitable bracket to use your existing cooling system.

Going off what you stated originally - do you need water cooling?

Why not just get a new i7 CPU and get an upgraded heat sink? Obviously with a new motherboard / CPU / RAM / GPU / Power supply / HDD.

As you originally stated - its going to be used for light gaming but more for a multi media PC...Water cooling is a bit excessive don't you think?

Edited by AC-S13

Water cooling is not just about extreme cooling, it is also the most effective way to have a silent PC.

Try finding an air cooled video card that is both able to play the latest games AND doesn't sound like a 747 when you are playing. They don't exist.

Water cooling is not just about extreme cooling, it is also the most effective way to have a silent PC.

Try finding an air cooled video card that is both able to play the latest games AND doesn't sound like a 747 when you are playing. They don't exist.

True. I guess if noise is such an issue, then go water cooling. I guess the noise doesn't bother me..

noise was one of the big reasons to go to water cooled, with 12 odd fans it can get pretty freaking noisy